Samrat’s bail hearing in ACC case deferred
Published: 19:04 11 August 2022 Updated: 19:04 11 August 2022
Ismail Hossain Chowdhury Samrat; File Photo
A court in Dhaka today has deferred the bail hearing of Ismail Hossain Chowdhury Samrat, an accused in the case filed by the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC), on the charge of acquiring illegal assets and fixed August 22 for the next hearing.
Dhaka Special Judge Court-6 Judge Al Asad Md. Asifuzzaman’s court fixed the day on Thursday.
Today was fixed for the bail and indictment hearing in the case. As Samrat was ill, the prison authorities sent a custody warrant instead of sending him to court. The court then fixed August 22 for his bail hearing and hearing of the chargesheet.
On November 12, 2019, ACC Deputy Director Md. Jahangir Alam filed a case against the Samrat on the charge of acquiring illegal assets worth Tk 2,94,80,087. ACC investigated the case and filed a chargesheet against Samrat on November 26, 2020. On March 22, the court accepted the chargesheet in the ACC case in the presence of Samrat. At the same time, the case was ordered to be transferred to Dhaka Special Judge Court-6.
It is learned from the case that Samrat acquired Tk 2,94,80,087 through various illegal business and illegal activities. It is alleged that he used to control 17 clubs in Motijheel and Fakirapool areas and got a huge commission. He even managed the casino business in the clubs.
He bought several flats, plots and built houses in different places including Gulshan, Dhanmondi, Uttara in Dhaka with illegally earned money. Besides, he has assets of Tk 1,000 crores in Singapore, Malaysia, Dubai and the United States.
RAB arrested Samrat from Chauddagram in Cumilla on October 7, 2019, on the charge of involvement in the casino business. During this time, a large amount of foreign liquor, pistols and skins of rare species of wild animals were recovered. A mobile court sentenced him to six months in prison for possessing the skins of wild animals.
- Human Trafficking: Report against dancer Ivan on Aug 14
- Provision of permission for arresting govt employee cancelled: HC
- Savar’s Neela murder trial begins
- Female doctor murder: Accused gives confessional statement
- Inciting student Sanjana to ‘commit suicide’: Father remanded
- Crimes against humanity: Khalilur gets death penalty
- Khaleda`s jail term suspension extended by 6 months
- Indictment hearing in two cases against Khaleda Oct 4
- Uttara girder tragedy: 10 accused placed on remand
- Hoshi Kunio murder: HC upholds death penalty for 4
- Ramna Batamul bomb blast case: Arguments August 11
- Cricketer Al Amin secures 8-week anticipatory bail
- Unscrewing nut-bolt of Padma Bridge: Bayezid denied bail
- Mitu murder: Charge sheet against 7 including Babul Akhter
- Legal notice to withdraw Lifebuoy soap ad within 72hrs