Savar’s Neela murder trial begins
Published: 14:39 3 August 2022 Updated: 14:39 3 August 2022
Neela Roy; File Photo
A Dhaka court today has framed charges against three people including, the main accused Mizanur Rahman Chowdhury, in the case of stabbing a 10th-grade student named Neela Roy to death for denying a love proposal in Savar.
Dhaka’s Fifth Additional District and Sessions Judge Ismat Jahan filed a complaint on Wednesday, rejecting the acquittal plea. At the same time, the judge set September 29 as the date for taking testimony in this case.
Abul Kalam Azad, the assistant public prosecutor of the concerned court, informed the matter.
Apart from accused Mizanur Rahman Chowdhury, the other two accused mentioned in the chargesheet are – Mizan’s associates Selim Pahlan and Shakib Hossain.
The case was scheduled to be heard on the day. However, as the judge of the Fifth Additional District and Sessions Judge’s Court of Dhaka was transferred, the court in-charge fixed the new date.
On April 28, 2021, the investigating officer of the case, Inspector of Police (Unarmed) of Savar Police Station Nirmal Kumar Das filed a chargesheet in the Dhaka Senior Judicial Magistrate’s Court.
However, Mizanur’s father Abdur Rahman and mother Nazmunnahar Siddique were acquitted as no evidence was found against them. A total of 13 people have been called as witnesses in the chargesheet.
Police arrested teen gang member Mizanur Rahman Chowdhury from the Ulail area in Savar municipality on the night of September 25, 2020. The knife used in the murder was recovered from him at that time.
The next day, on September 26, the court granted a seven-day remand to accused Mizanur Rahman. Investigating officer SI Nirmal Kumar Das then requested to record Mizanur’s voluntary confessional statement during the remand.
Following the petition, the court of Dhaka Senior Judicial Magistrate Rajib Hasan recorded his statement. The court later ordered him sent to jail. Mizanur has been lodged in jail since then. However, the other two accused Selim and Shakib are out on bail.
Neela Roy, a tenth grader at a local school, was stabbed to death in the Bank Colony area in Savar on September 20, 2020.
On September 21, the day after the murder, Neela’s father Narayan Roy filed a murder case with the Savar Model Police Station, accusing Mizanur Rahman as the main accused.
- Human Trafficking: Report against dancer Ivan on Aug 14
- Provision of permission for arresting govt employee cancelled: HC
- Savar’s Neela murder trial begins
- Female doctor murder: Accused gives confessional statement
- Inciting student Sanjana to ‘commit suicide’: Father remanded
- Crimes against humanity: Khalilur gets death penalty
- Khaleda`s jail term suspension extended by 6 months
- Indictment hearing in two cases against Khaleda Oct 4
- Uttara girder tragedy: 10 accused placed on remand
- Hoshi Kunio murder: HC upholds death penalty for 4
- Ramna Batamul bomb blast case: Arguments August 11
- Cricketer Al Amin secures 8-week anticipatory bail
- Unscrewing nut-bolt of Padma Bridge: Bayezid denied bail
- Mitu murder: Charge sheet against 7 including Babul Akhter
- Legal notice to withdraw Lifebuoy soap ad within 72hrs