Crime against humanity: Khulna’s 6 razakars get death penalty
Published: 14:20 28 July 2022 Updated: 16:05 28 July 2022
International Criminal Tribunal (ICT); File Photo
The International Criminal Tribunal (ICT) has sentenced six accused to death in Khulna in the case of crimes against humanity.
The three-member ICT body headed by Justice Md. Shahinur Islam handed over the verdict on Thursday.
The other two members of the tribunal are – Justice Md. Abu Ahmed Jamadar and Justice KM Hafizul Alam.
The accused convicted with death penalties are – Amjad Hossain Howladar, Sahar Ali Sardar, Atiyar Rahman, Motachim Billah, Kamal Uddin Goldar, and Md Nazrul Islam of Khulna’s Batiaghata upazila. Among them, Nazrul Islam is fugitive.
In this case, Abdus Sattar Palawan was present for the accused and state lawyer Gazi MH Tamim was heard in the court. Mokhlesur Rahman Badal and Sabina Yasmin Khan Munni appeared for the state in the court.
Noted that Accused Amjad was an activist of the Convention Muslim League. When the Great Liberation War started, he joined the local Razakar army. Accused Md. Motachim Billah is a follower of Jamaat-e-Islami. During the Great Liberation War, he joined the local Razakar army. The rest of the accused were also members of the Razakar forces.
According to the complaint, the accused committed crimes against humanity in 1971. Four charges of detention, torture, kidnapping, looting, arson, and murder were brought against them.
On October 29, 2018, after completion of the indictment hearing, charges were framed against the seven accused on January 22, 2019. Later the accused Mozahar Ali Sheikh died.
16 of the 17 prosecution witnesses testified in the case. After the examination of the witnesses and presenting the arguments of both the parties, the tribunal kept the case pending for the verdict on May 22.
- Human Trafficking: Report against dancer Ivan on Aug 14
- Provision of permission for arresting govt employee cancelled: HC
- Savar’s Neela murder trial begins
- Female doctor murder: Accused gives confessional statement
- Inciting student Sanjana to ‘commit suicide’: Father remanded
- Crimes against humanity: Khalilur gets death penalty
- Khaleda`s jail term suspension extended by 6 months
- Indictment hearing in two cases against Khaleda Oct 4
- Uttara girder tragedy: 10 accused placed on remand
- Hoshi Kunio murder: HC upholds death penalty for 4
- Ramna Batamul bomb blast case: Arguments August 11
- Cricketer Al Amin secures 8-week anticipatory bail
- Unscrewing nut-bolt of Padma Bridge: Bayezid denied bail
- Mitu murder: Charge sheet against 7 including Babul Akhter
- Legal notice to withdraw Lifebuoy soap ad within 72hrs