Graft case: Pradeep gets 20yrs, wife Chumki gets 21yrs jail
Published: 13:29 27 July 2022 Updated: 14:51 27 July 2022
Pradeep Kumar Das and his wife Chumki Karan; File Photo
A court in Chattogram today has sentenced Pradeep Kumar Das – former OC (officer-in-charge) of Teknaf Police Station who is also awarded a death sentence in the murder case of Major Sinha Mohammed Rashed Khan – to 20 years and his wife Chumki Karan to 21 years in prison in the case filed by the ACC on charges of acquiring illegal wealth. At the same time, all the properties owned by them have been ordered to be confiscated.
Chattogram Divisional Special Judge Munshi Abdul Majid handed over the verdict at around 11:30 on Wednesday, confirmed ACC lawyer Mahmudul Haq Mahmud.
“We have been able to prove all the allegations made against Pradeep Kumar Das and his wife Chumki Karan. In the verdict of the case, the court has sentenced Pradeep Kumar Das to 20 years and Chumki Karan to 21 years. Besides, all their properties have been ordered to be confiscated,” he said.
On July 18, the arguments between the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) and the accused were ended in the court of Chattogram Divisional Special Judge Munshi Abdul Majeed. Later, the court fixed July 27 as the date of the verdict.
ACC officer Riaz Uddin filed the case on August 23, 2020. Later, on July 26 last year, he filed a chargesheet in court. They have been accused of obtaining assets outside known income of Tk 3,95,05,635, concealing information of assets and money laundering.
A hearing on the chargesheet was held on September 1 of the same year. On September 20, in view of the petition made by the investigation officer of the case, Riaz Uddin, the court ordered to “seize” the property mentioned in the case statement. Charges were formed against them in this case on December 15.
Earlier, the ACC had initiated an investigation in June 2018 after Pradeep was accused of acquiring assets beyond known income. ACC officials also got information about “unused assets” in the name of Pradeep and Chumki during the initial search. Later, when they were asked to submit the asset statement, they submitted this to ACC in May of the same year.
According to the complaint filed by the ACC, a six-storey house in Patharghata of the city, a house in Panchlaish, 45-bhori of gold, a private car, a microbus, bank accounts and a flat in Cox’s Bazar was found in the name of Chumki.
Besides, a valid and acceptable income is Tk 2,44,66,234 were found against Pradeep’s movable and immovable assets of Tk 4,80,64,651.
In this case, ACC found evidence of acquisition of illegal wealth of Tk 2,35,98,417. Besides, although Chumki claimed to be a “fish merchant”, no existence of this business was found.
- Human Trafficking: Report against dancer Ivan on Aug 14
- Provision of permission for arresting govt employee cancelled: HC
- Savar’s Neela murder trial begins
- Female doctor murder: Accused gives confessional statement
- Inciting student Sanjana to ‘commit suicide’: Father remanded
- Crimes against humanity: Khalilur gets death penalty
- Khaleda`s jail term suspension extended by 6 months
- Indictment hearing in two cases against Khaleda Oct 4
- Uttara girder tragedy: 10 accused placed on remand
- Hoshi Kunio murder: HC upholds death penalty for 4
- Ramna Batamul bomb blast case: Arguments August 11
- Cricketer Al Amin secures 8-week anticipatory bail
- Unscrewing nut-bolt of Padma Bridge: Bayezid denied bail
- Mitu murder: Charge sheet against 7 including Babul Akhter
- Legal notice to withdraw Lifebuoy soap ad within 72hrs