Gatco graft case: Exoneration hearing for 10 accused on Aug 31
Published: 16:54 24 July 2022
BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia; File Photo
Lawyers for the three accused in the Gatco graft case held a hearing seeking acquittal from the case. At the same time, the court fixed August 31 for the hearing on the plea of 10 persons including BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia, the other accused in this case.
The hearing of the accused was held in the court of Judge Ali Hossain of Dhaka Special Judge Court-3 on Sunday.
On this day, the main accused in the case, Khaleda Zia, appeared in court on behalf of her lawyer. After that, the accused Zulfikar Ali, AM Sanwar Hossain and AK Rashid Uddin’s lawyers held a hearing seeking the acquittal of the accused.
Earlier, July 17 was fixed as the date for hearing the charge sheet in the case. However, Khaleda Zia, the main accused in the case, could not appear in court due to illness. However, her lawyer appeared in court on Khaleda’s behalf.
The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) filed the case against 13 people, including Khaleda and her younger son Arafat Rahman on September 2, 2007, with Tejgaon Police Station for their role in corruption regarding penning a contract with Global Agro Trade (Pvt) Co Ltd (Gatco) for container management at inland container depots in Dhaka and Chattogram.
A formal charge was submitted against 24 on May 13, 2008. But of the 24 accused, 11 including Arafat, Saifur Rahman, MK Anwer, Abdul Mannan Bhuiyan and Ahmed Abdul Kashem have died so far. Another accused former Ameer of Jamaat-e-Islami Matiur Rahman Nizami has been executed after getting convicted and sentenced to death in a crime against humanity case.
- Human Trafficking: Report against dancer Ivan on Aug 14
- Provision of permission for arresting govt employee cancelled: HC
- Savar’s Neela murder trial begins
- Female doctor murder: Accused gives confessional statement
- Inciting student Sanjana to ‘commit suicide’: Father remanded
- Crimes against humanity: Khalilur gets death penalty
- Khaleda`s jail term suspension extended by 6 months
- Indictment hearing in two cases against Khaleda Oct 4
- Uttara girder tragedy: 10 accused placed on remand
- Hoshi Kunio murder: HC upholds death penalty for 4
- Ramna Batamul bomb blast case: Arguments August 11
- Cricketer Al Amin secures 8-week anticipatory bail
- Unscrewing nut-bolt of Padma Bridge: Bayezid denied bail
- Mitu murder: Charge sheet against 7 including Babul Akhter
- Legal notice to withdraw Lifebuoy soap ad within 72hrs