Several explosions heard in Kyiv, Mayor says
Published: 13:51 26 June 2022
Several explosions took place early on Sunday in the Shevchenkivskiy district of the Ukrainian capital Kyiv, the city's mayor Vitali Klitschko said on the Telegram messaging app.
There was no immediate information on the cause of the explosions or casualties.
"Ambulance crews and rescuers dispatched to the scene. More detailed information - later," Klitschko said.
"Residents are being rescued and evacuated from two buildings."
The historic district, one of Kyiv's central, is home to a cluster of universities, restaurants and art galleries.
Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24 but abandoned an early advance on Kyiv in the face of fierce resistance bolstered by Western arms.
Since then Moscow and its proxies have focused on the south and Donbas, an eastern territory made up of Luhansk and its neighbour Donetsk, deploying overwhelming artillery in some of the heaviest ground fighting in Europe since World War Two. - Reuters
- Israel hits Gaza with air attacks as tensions escalate
- 4 ministers appointed in Sri Lanka’s new cabinet
- 600 Ukrainian soldiers killed overnight, Russia claims
- Manik Saha made Tripura Chief Minister
- Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb resigns
- China building collapse death toll rises to 26
- 10 dead in shooting at New York supermarket
- Turkey to reject Sweden, Finland`s bid to join NATO: Erdogan
- India’s Supreme Court recognizes sex work as profession
- Taliban say female Afghan TV presenters must cover faces
- Monkeypox spreads to 11 countries: WHO warns
- Curfew lifted in Sri Lanka
- Congress President Sonia Gandhi tested Covid positive
- Russia cuts off power supply in Finland
- Visit visa for Umrah within 24hrs: Saudi minister