Manik Saha made Tripura Chief Minister
Published: 21:51 14 May 2022 Updated: 21:51 14 May 2022
BJP has appointed state president Manik Saha as the new Chief Minister of the Indian state of Tripura; Photo: Collected
The ruling BJP has appointed state president Manik Saha as the new Chief Minister of the Indian state of Tripura.
Manik Saha, a doctor by profession, will have to win an assembly seat within six months of being sworn in as chief minister.
However, it will not be very difficult for the BJP. In the 60-seat Tripura, the BJP won 44 in the last assembly elections. The BJP has to ensure Manik’s victory from any one of them.
Meanwhile, a few hours before the appointment of Manik Saha, Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb resigned. He announced his resignation after a meeting at Raj Bhavan.
He submitted his resignation letter to Tripura Governor Satyadev Narayan Arya on Saturday. Discussions are going on in the political arena about the sudden resignation of Biplab Deb a year before the Assembly vote.
Biplab Deb was sworn in as the Chief Minister for the first time on March 9, 2018. He became the first Chief Minister after the BJP came to power in Tripura for the first time. He had to resign suddenly 10 months before the end of his term.
- Israel hits Gaza with air attacks as tensions escalate
- 4 ministers appointed in Sri Lanka’s new cabinet
- 600 Ukrainian soldiers killed overnight, Russia claims
- Manik Saha made Tripura Chief Minister
- Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb resigns
- China building collapse death toll rises to 26
- 10 dead in shooting at New York supermarket
- Turkey to reject Sweden, Finland`s bid to join NATO: Erdogan
- India’s Supreme Court recognizes sex work as profession
- Taliban say female Afghan TV presenters must cover faces
- Monkeypox spreads to 11 countries: WHO warns
- Curfew lifted in Sri Lanka
- Congress President Sonia Gandhi tested Covid positive
- Russia cuts off power supply in Finland
- Visit visa for Umrah within 24hrs: Saudi minister