4 ministers appointed in Sri Lanka’s new cabinet
Published: 20:13 14 May 2022 Updated: 20:15 14 May 2022
The 4 ministers in the Sri Lanka`s new cabinet -- Dinesh Gunawardena (Left), G.L. Peiris (Left to 2nd), Prasanna Ranatunga (Middle) and Kanchana Wijesekera (Right); Photo: Collected
Sri Lankan president Gotabaya Rajapaksa today appointed four ministers to the new cabinet after United National Party (UNP) leader Ranil Wickremesinghe was sworn in as the South Asian country’s new prime minister on Thursday.
The new appointments are — Dinesh Gunawardena as the minister of public administration, G.L. Peiris as the minister of foreign affairs, Prasanna Ranatunga as the minister of urban development, and Kanchana Wijesekera as the minister of power and energy, President’s Media Division said on Saturday.
Senior political officials said “more ministers will be appointed” as the president and prime minister are urging all political parties to join hands to form a national government to tackle the ongoing political and economic instability in the country.
Former Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa stepped down on Monday, following violent incidents reported between pro-government groups and anti-government protesters. – Xinhua
- Israel hits Gaza with air attacks as tensions escalate
- 4 ministers appointed in Sri Lanka’s new cabinet
- 600 Ukrainian soldiers killed overnight, Russia claims
- Manik Saha made Tripura Chief Minister
- Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb resigns
- China building collapse death toll rises to 26
- 10 dead in shooting at New York supermarket
- Turkey to reject Sweden, Finland`s bid to join NATO: Erdogan
- India’s Supreme Court recognizes sex work as profession
- Taliban say female Afghan TV presenters must cover faces
- Monkeypox spreads to 11 countries: WHO warns
- Curfew lifted in Sri Lanka
- Congress President Sonia Gandhi tested Covid positive
- Russia cuts off power supply in Finland
- Visit visa for Umrah within 24hrs: Saudi minister