Over 60 believed killed after school attack in Ukraine
Published: 13:51 8 May 2022 Updated: 16:41 8 May 2022
Russian MiG; Photo: Collected
At least 60 people are missing and feared dead in the debris of a burned-out school after a Russian air raid in eastern Ukraine.
International media outlet Al Jazeera shared the information in a report on Sunday.
According to Al Jazeera, citing the governor of the Luhansk region Serhiy Haidai, two people were confirmed dead on Sunday after Russian forces dropped a bomb on the school and 30 civilians had been pulled from the debris.
It was learned that around 90 people had been sheltering in the school in the village of Bilohorivka and the fire following Saturday’s attack engulfed the building.
In a telegram message, governor Serhiy Haidai wrote, “The fire was extinguished after nearly four hours, then the rubble was cleared and, unfortunately, the bodies of two people were found.”
“Thirty people were evacuated from the rubble, seven of whom are injured. Sixty people were likely to have died under the rubble of buildings,” he added.
However, Al Jazeera could not immediately verify the comments.
Ukraine and the West have accused the Russian forces of targeting civilians and war crimes, however, Moscow denied all the charges.
Meanwhile, the besieged port city of Mariupol, a strategic target for Russian forces, has been virtually annihilated with the last 300 civilians trapped in the bombed-out Azovstal steelworks evacuated on Saturday.
Today’s evacuation efforts will now focus on getting the wounded and medics out of the steel plant.
Noted that Russia’s 10-week-old war on Ukraine has killed thousands, destroyed cities, and driven around five million Ukrainians to flee the country.
- Israel hits Gaza with air attacks as tensions escalate
- Albania suffers renewed cyber attack, blames Iran
- Queen Elizabeth`s doctors "concerned" over health
- Queen Elizabeth lying in state in Westminster Hall
- 3 killed in lightning strike near White House
- Draupadi Murmu sworn in as India’s President
- China to conduct military operations in Taiwan at any time!
- Bus plunges into river valley in Kenya, kills 24
- Rohingyas will be resettled in US: Blinken
- 9 killed in jeep-car collision near Bengaluru
- Biden again tests positive for Covid, returns to isolation
- Japan police chief to resign over Abe shooting
- Biden announces $3 billion in additional aid to Ukraine
- 3 killed, 6 wounded in China kindergarten stabbing: police
- 8 killed in Kabul blast, IS claims responsibility