Russian transport plane crashes amid Ukraine crisis, crew killed
Published: 13:04 25 February 2022
A Russian Antonov An-26 transport plane carrying military equipment crashed in Russia’s southern Voronezh region near Ukraine; Photo: Collected
A Russian Antonov An-26 transport plane carrying military equipment crashed in Russia’s southern Voronezh region near Ukraine, killing all crew members on board, the defence ministry said Thursday.
According to Russian news agencies, citing the country’s defence ministry, an An-26 aircraft of the Russian aerospace forces transporting military equipment crashed.
“All the crew members died,” the defence ministry said in a statement, without providing any details.
The crash took place as Russian troops had crossed the Ukrainian border and were closing in on the capital Kyiv Thursday after the Kremlin ordered a massive invasion of its neighbor, reports AFP.
The defence ministry blamed “equipment failure for the crash”, which it said had not caused any destruction on the ground.
Speaking to AFP, a defence ministry spokesman confirmed the crash, however, declined to say how many crew members had been killed.
- Israel hits Gaza with air attacks as tensions escalate
- 4 ministers appointed in Sri Lanka’s new cabinet
- Manik Saha made Tripura Chief Minister
- Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb resigns
- 10 dead in shooting at New York supermarket
- Turkey to reject Sweden, Finland`s bid to join NATO: Erdogan
- India’s Supreme Court recognizes sex work as profession
- Taliban say female Afghan TV presenters must cover faces
- Monkeypox spreads to 11 countries: WHO warns
- Visit visa for Umrah within 24hrs: Saudi minister
- Curfew lifted in Sri Lanka
- 3 killed in lightning strike near White House
- Congress President Sonia Gandhi tested Covid positive
- Russia cuts off power supply in Finland
- Monkeypox cases detected in 3 more countries