Russia launches full-scale attack in Ukraine after Putin’s orders
Published: 11:31 24 February 2022 Updated: 16:00 24 February 2022
Military vehicles are seen on a street on the outskirts of the separatist-controlled city of Donetsk, Ukraine February 23, 2022; Photo: Reuters
Russian forces started firing full-scale attacks at several Ukrainian cities and landed troops on its south coast on Thursday after President Vladimir Putin’s instructions what he called a “special military operation” in the east, Reuters reported.
According to Interfax news agency, shortly after Putin spoke in a televised address on Russian state TV, explosions could be heard in the pre-dawn quiet of the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv. Gunfire rattled near the capital’s main airport.
Meanwhile, Ukraine’s President Zelensky has confirmed reports of missile strikes in the country.
He says Russia has carried out missile strikes on Ukraine’s infrastructure and on border guards.
Ukraine President calls for martial law
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky is calling on his national security and defence council to declare martial law.
The council is expected to hold an urgent meeting to decide the issue.
Russia denied attacking!
Russia’s defence ministry, on the other hand, has “denied” attacking Ukrainian cities, saying it is targeting military infrastructure, air defence and air forces with “high-precision weapons”, the country’s state agency RIA cited the ministry as saying.
Source: BBC, Reuters
- Israel hits Gaza with air attacks as tensions escalate
- Albania suffers renewed cyber attack, blames Iran
- Queen Elizabeth`s doctors "concerned" over health
- Queen Elizabeth lying in state in Westminster Hall
- 3 killed in lightning strike near White House
- Draupadi Murmu sworn in as India’s President
- Bus plunges into river valley in Kenya, kills 24
- China to conduct military operations in Taiwan at any time!
- Rohingyas will be resettled in US: Blinken
- 9 killed in jeep-car collision near Bengaluru
- Biden again tests positive for Covid, returns to isolation
- Japan police chief to resign over Abe shooting
- 3 killed, 6 wounded in China kindergarten stabbing: police
- 8 killed in Kabul blast, IS claims responsibility
- Biden announces $3 billion in additional aid to Ukraine