12 killed in Pakistan`s Karachi blast
Published: 21:46 18 December 2021
At least 12 people were killed and many others injured in a gas explosion in Pakistan's port city of Karachi on Saturday.
The explosion took place in a bank building in the Sher Shah area, local media reported.
Social media and TV footage showed the two-floor structure's windows and doors blown out, with documents scattered across a wide area. Cars and motorcycles parked nearby were also damaged.
Provincial police told AFP a bomb disposal squad was investigating, but "apparently the leakage of gas was the cause". They said 12 people had been confirmed killed, and 13 were being treated for injuries.
Explosions caused by faulty gas cylinders - which are used for cooking as well as in cars - are common in Pakistan.
Karachi, which is responsible for 60 percent of Pakistan's economic output, has long endured creaky infrastructure, illegal construction, and failing municipal services. - AFP
- Israel hits Gaza with air attacks as tensions escalate
- Albania suffers renewed cyber attack, blames Iran
- Queen Elizabeth`s doctors "concerned" over health
- Queen Elizabeth lying in state in Westminster Hall
- 3 killed in lightning strike near White House
- Draupadi Murmu sworn in as India’s President
- China to conduct military operations in Taiwan at any time!
- Bus plunges into river valley in Kenya, kills 24
- Rohingyas will be resettled in US: Blinken
- 9 killed in jeep-car collision near Bengaluru
- Biden again tests positive for Covid, returns to isolation
- Japan police chief to resign over Abe shooting
- Biden announces $3 billion in additional aid to Ukraine
- 3 killed, 6 wounded in China kindergarten stabbing: police
- 8 killed in Kabul blast, IS claims responsibility