18 dead as matador carrying bodies hits truck in West Bengal
Published: 11:19 28 November 2021
At least 18 people were killed and five others injured after a matador car carrying bodies collided with a truck in Nadia district of India's West Bengal late on Saturday night.
Local media reported that the incident took place when over 20 people were heading towards Navadwip crematorium in a matador to cremate a body from Bagda of North 24 Parganas.
The matador collided with the truck parked on the side of the road at Phulbari area of Hanskhali police station area of Nadia, killing several people and leaving others injured.
Police initially thought that the accident was due to the dense fog and the high speed of the vehicle.
"Deeply pained at the reported death of 18 people and 5 others injured in Nadia district after the vehicle they were travelling in collided with a truck parked on the side of the road," West Bengal governor Jagdeep Dhankhar said.
The injured people have been shifted to Shaktinagar district hospital.
- Sudan PM Abdallah Hamdok under house arrest
- Taliban supreme leader makes first public appearance
- Brazilian singer Marilia Mendonca among 5 killed in plane crash
- Fire at Mumbai luxury residential tower, 1 dead
- China’s ‘Piano Prince’ detained for hiring prostitute
- More than 90 Yemen rebels killed near Marib: Saudi-led coalition
- Record high migrant detentions at US-Mexico border
- Drug violence surged: State of emergency declared in Ecuador
- 2 Bangladeshi women elected councilors in Australia
- Myanmar celebrity gets 3 years in jail
- Fatal stabbing of UK MP declared ‘terrorist incident’
- 43 killed in Nigeria gunmen attack
- Fire at Kuwait oil refinery
- Moderna reports `robust` Covid vaccine response in children
- Father of cognitive behavioural therapy dies