Int’l Youth Day: Create intergenerational solidarity
Published: 12:27 12 August 2022 Updated: 12:51 12 August 2022
International Youth Day 2022 today, August 12; Photo: Collected
The International Youth Day 2022 is being observed today, Friday (August 12) through various programs across the world including Bangladesh.
The theme for International Youth Day 2022 is “Intergenerational solidarity: Creating a world for all ages”.
The main objective of Youth Day is to discuss youth participation and views on various issues ranging from social, economic and political events.
Youths are the biggest strength of any country. From Greta Thunberg to Malala Yousafzai, these youths have been important forces for changing around the world on issues such as climate change, human rights abuses, and even the current pandemic.
International Youth Day was first celebrated on August 12, 2000. The day was celebrated for the first time in 1999 following the recommendation of the United Nations General Assembly.
Even in critical times like this global pandemic, the youths have been vocal against incidents like racial discrimination and have played a supportive role. During “The Black Lives Movement”, youth were seen protesting to demand changes in the social system.
Each year the United Nations selects a theme for International Youth Day. However, based on this theme, various events are organized in different parts of the world. The opinion of the youths has also been obtained, they are even being consulted on this day.
The United Nations also launched a social media campaign on the day to highlight youth engagement to bring about global change.
- How much does it cost to bury one grave on another
- Srabonti’s quilling
- 10 surprising – unknown – facts about Queen Elizabeth II
- Rabindranath`s 81st death anniversary today
- Harry Coover: Inventor of super glue by ‘accident’
- World Suicide Prevention Day: Awareness requisite in youths
- These twins named `most beautiful in the world`
- Aftermath of workers’ strike: Tea taste may change!
- Frida Kahlo: Portraits of Pain
- 15-30yrs people more prone to suicide: BSMMU VC
Ego-depression-breakup causes suicide tendency: Study
- Current monsoon sees lowest rainfall in 40 yrs, reason horrific
- Valentina Tereshkova: Who orbiting Earth 48 times
- Kalabagan Waterfall: A beautiful waterfall in Rangamati
- Kuldhara: An entire village disappeared overnight
- Exploring the tragic tale of ‘most-kissed girl in world’