World Refugee Day: Raise awareness over inhumane treatment of refugees
Published: 12:18 20 June 2022 Updated: 12:19 20 June 2022
Rohingya refugees; File Photo
World Refugee Day is being observed today. Every year on June 20, the day is observed to raise awareness among international leaders about the inhumane treatment towards the refugees around the world.
The theme of this year’s Refugee Day is — “Together We Heal, Learn, and Shine”.
On December 4, 2000, the UN General Assembly decided to observe World Refugee Day every year from June 20, 2001. There is a historical background to choosing the day.
2001 marks the 50th anniversary of the 1951 Convention on the Status of Refugees. However, until 2000, a day called “African Refugee Day” was celebrated in several countries — that is what is now being celebrated around the world as World Refugee Day through the United Nations.
The number of refugees is increasing all over the world due to human rights violations like war, torture, lawsuits and attacks. According to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the number of refugees in the world has exceeded 100 million due to the Ukraine-Russia war.
The number of Bangladeshis among the total refugees is not less. However, Bangladesh ranks 7th in the world as a haven for refugees.
According to Filippo Grandi, head of the UNHCR, the “probable food crisis” will force more people to be displaced. Besides, there are wars, conflicts, and climate crises. The international community will unite to alleviate this humanitarian plight so that this terrible trend will continue unless the conflict is stopped.
Meanwhile, a large part of the Rohingya population of Myanmar has taken refuge in Bangladesh. More than 700,000 Rohingyas fled to Bangladesh on August 25, 2017, to escape torture and genocide by the Myanmar army. Besides, there were already about 400,000 Rohingya refugees staying before this in Bangladesh.
- How much does it cost to bury one grave on another
- Srabonti’s quilling
- 10 surprising – unknown – facts about Queen Elizabeth II
- Rabindranath`s 81st death anniversary today
- Harry Coover: Inventor of super glue by ‘accident’
- World Suicide Prevention Day: Awareness requisite in youths
- These twins named `most beautiful in the world`
- Aftermath of workers’ strike: Tea taste may change!
- Frida Kahlo: Portraits of Pain
- 15-30yrs people more prone to suicide: BSMMU VC
Ego-depression-breakup causes suicide tendency: Study
- Current monsoon sees lowest rainfall in 40 yrs, reason horrific
- Valentina Tereshkova: Who orbiting Earth 48 times
- Kalabagan Waterfall: A beautiful waterfall in Rangamati
- Kuldhara: An entire village disappeared overnight
- World Heart Day today