International Museum Day today
Published: 08:25 18 May 2022 Updated: 08:34 19 May 2022
Bangladesh National Museum at Shahbagh
The International Museum Day 2022 is being observed on Wednesday in Bangladesh like elsewhere in the world.
The theme of the day this year is 'Power of Museum'.
Each year since 1977, International Council of Museums (ICOM) has been organizing International Museum Day, which represents a unique moment for the international museum community, according to an article of ICOM.
The objective of International Museum Day (IMD) is to raise awareness about the fact that, "Museums are an important means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace among peoples."
Organised on 18 May each year or around this date, the events and activities planned to celebrate International Museum Day can last a day, a weekend or an entire week.
Bangladesh National Museum will organize different programme including colorful procession and cultural function.
State Minister for Cultural Affairs KM Khalid will attend the inaugural ceremony as the chief guest in front of National Museum at Shahbagh in Dhaka.
National Museum Chairman Professor AAMS Arefin Siddique will chair the function while Cultural Affairs Secretary Md Abul Mansur will also join it.
Founded in 1814 at the cradle of the Asiatic Society of Bengal (at the present building of the Asiatic Society, 1 Park Street, Kolkata), Indian Museum is the earliest and the largest multipurpose Museum not only in the Indian subcontinent but also in the Asia-Pacific region of the world, according to website of Indian Museum at Kolkata.
Varendra Museum is considered the oldest museum in Bangladesh. It is a museum, research centre, and popular visitor attraction at the heart of Rajshahi and maintained by Rajshahi University in Bangladesh. It was in the then East Bengal in 1910. The museum started out as the collection for Varendra Anushandan Samiti (or Varendra Investigation Society) and got its current name in 1919.
Over hundred museums are in Bangladesh. But, Bangladesh National Museum at Shahbagh is considered as the main museum in Bangladesh.
The National Museum was originally established on 20 March 1913, albeit under another name (the Dhaka Museum), and formally inaugurated on 7 August 1913 by Thomas Gibson-Carmichael, 1st Baron Carmichael, the governor of Bengal.
In July 1915 it was handed over to the Naib-Nazim of Dhaka. Bangladesh National Museum was formed through the incorporation of Dhaka museum and it was made the national museum of Bangladesh on 17 November 1983.
- How much does it cost to bury one grave on another
- Srabonti’s quilling
- 10 surprising – unknown – facts about Queen Elizabeth II
- Rabindranath`s 81st death anniversary today
- Harry Coover: Inventor of super glue by ‘accident’
- World Suicide Prevention Day: Awareness requisite in youths
- These twins named `most beautiful in the world`
- Aftermath of workers’ strike: Tea taste may change!
- Frida Kahlo: Portraits of Pain
- 15-30yrs people more prone to suicide: BSMMU VC
Ego-depression-breakup causes suicide tendency: Study
- Current monsoon sees lowest rainfall in 40 yrs, reason horrific
- Valentina Tereshkova: Who orbiting Earth 48 times
- Kalabagan Waterfall: A beautiful waterfall in Rangamati
- Kuldhara: An entire village disappeared overnight
- Exploring the tragic tale of ‘most-kissed girl in world’