World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day today
Published: 12:20 8 May 2022 Updated: 12:21 8 May 2022
World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day is celebrated to commemorate the birth anniversary of Henry Dunant, founder of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), who was born in Geneva in 1828 and the recipient of the first Nobel Peace Prize; Photo: Collected
With the theme of “Be Human Kind”, the ‘World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day’ is being observed in the country like elsewhere in the world today, Sunday (May 8)
Every year, the day is celebrated to commemorate the birth anniversary of Henry Dunant, founder of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), who was born in Geneva in 1828 and the recipient of the first Nobel Peace Prize.
Every year, the day is celebrated under a particular theme and the theme for 2022 is “Be Human Kind”. With this year’s theme, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is putting kindness in the picture and is encouraging all to be kind to each other.
The origin of World Red Cross day dates back to World War I when the idea of an annual celebration for those who contributed to world peace was first raised. In 1936, the proposal called “Red Cross Truce” was approved at the Tokyo conference, however, the then League of Red Cross Societies (LRCS) considered it only after World War II in 1946. On May 8, 1948, the world celebrated its first Red Cross Day.
Bangladesh Red Crescent Society also observes the day.
This movement has been conducted in light of seven principles since its establishment which has spread to 191 countries of the world.
On the occasion of the day, the day’s program has started by hoisting the national and red crescent flags at the national headquarters of the Bangladesh Red Crescent Society at 7:30 am on Sunday.
World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day is enlightening us all that despite the world appearing scary and extremely tough, there is hope and humanity that can be found in the act of kindness.
- How much does it cost to bury one grave on another
- Srabonti’s quilling
- 10 surprising – unknown – facts about Queen Elizabeth II
- Rabindranath`s 81st death anniversary today
- Harry Coover: Inventor of super glue by ‘accident’
- World Suicide Prevention Day: Awareness requisite in youths
- These twins named `most beautiful in the world`
- Aftermath of workers’ strike: Tea taste may change!
- Frida Kahlo: Portraits of Pain
- 15-30yrs people more prone to suicide: BSMMU VC
Ego-depression-breakup causes suicide tendency: Study
- Current monsoon sees lowest rainfall in 40 yrs, reason horrific
- Valentina Tereshkova: Who orbiting Earth 48 times
- Kalabagan Waterfall: A beautiful waterfall in Rangamati
- Kuldhara: An entire village disappeared overnight
- World Heart Day today