Trawler sinks in Bay of Bengal, 19 fishermen rescued
Published: 20:55 19 August 2022 Updated: 21:00 19 August 2022
Trawler sinks in Bay of Bengal, 19 fishermen rescued - File Photo
Two fishing trawlers 'FB Mayer Doya' and 'FB Allah'r Daan' with 19 fishermen sank amid a heavy storm in the Bay of Bengal. All 19 fishermen of the two trawlers were rescued alive by local fishermen. But all the fishermen have become seriously ill.
The 'FB Mayer Doya' capsized at around 12 o'clock in the night on Thursday while 'FB Allah'r Daan' sank around 10 o'clock in the morning. The owners of the two trawlers are Majnu Mia and Zafar Sikder. They are hailed from Nidra area of Taltali upazila. The identity of the rescued 19 fishermen could not be known.
'FB Allah'r Daan' Trawler owner Majnu Mia confirmed the matter on Friday (August 19) around 2.30 pm.
According to local sources, the 'FB Mayer Doya' trawler has been made at a cost of 1.5 crore takas. The boat left for the deep sea for fishing from the Nidra coast of Taltali along with 13 fishermen on board on Wednesday afternoon. Goods worth about one and a half lakh takas including oil, and food items were loaded up. But on reaching the deep Bay of Bengal, there was news of warning signal No. 3 in the sea. The sea also became rough. Later everyone decided to return to the coast with the trawler. The trawler overturned after being hit by waves while returning at around 12 pm leaving 13 fishermen in the water. After that, the fishermen floated in the sea with live jackets for 10 hours. Later local fishermen came forward with 2 trawlers and rescued everyone. The rescued fishermen are very sick.
Meanwhile, on the way back to the coast from the deep Bay of Bengal around 10 am, the 'FB Allah'r Daan' trawler was sank due to a sudden storm. Seeing the fishermen of the sunken trawler floating in the sea, a passing trawler rescued the 6 fishermen. The owner of that trawler has suffered a loss of about Tk 30 lakh. In the meantime, other fishermen have started to rescue the trawler.
Majnu Mia, the owner of 'FB Allah'r Daan' trawler, said that it left the sea three days ago with net, oil and other logistics. The trawler sank due to the storm and another trawler named 'FB Mayer Doa' sank around 12 O'clock at midnight. It has caused a loss of about 1.5 crores.
He also said that all the rescued fishermen are now in Patharghata. Everyone is sick. Arrangements are being made to treat them.
The officer in charge of Sakina Zone of Fakirhat, Commander Md. Sultan Ali said, "I do not know anything about this. Looking into the matter.
- Female teacher, 45, gets married to student, 22
- 8th Bangladesh-China Friendship Bridge set to open on Sep 4
- 314 wild birds rescued in Bogura
- 2 children drown in Sitakunda ponds
- Two held over rape on moving bus in Brahmanbaria
- Engineer died in the race between two trucks
- Fire breaks out at jute warehouse in Narayanganj
- Easy bike, microbus collision leaves woman dead
- Body of the teacher who married student recovered
- Bairagirchala people still remember Queen Elizabeth II
- Driver killed in bus-truck collision in Rajbari
- Lawn carpet grass cultivation boons in Chandpur
- Three arrested with 1500 liters of stolen diesel
- Padma-Setu breaths last, only Swapno remains alive
- Pickup van kills security guard in Hazaribagh