Woman who assaulted girl at Narsingdi train station detained
Published: 14:07 30 May 2022
Marjia Akhter Shila
The members of Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) detained Marjia Akhter Shila, accused in a case filed over the harassment of a young girl at Narsingdi Railway Station recently over her clothes.
A team of RAB-11 detained her from Shibpur area in the district at 3:00 am on Monday.
Confirming the information, RAB-11 Company Commander Flight Lieutenant Touhidul Mobin Khan said that Marjia Akhter has been identified after watching the video footage of the incident. She will be sent to RAB headquarters.
It has been reported that on May 18, two young men and a young girl came from Dhaka to visit Narsingdi. At the railway station, Marjia Akhter first started hurling abusive words at the girl over her clothes. Then some men joined her and started assaulting the girl. The girl ran to the stationmaster's room for refuge from the attackers.
A video of the incident started doing the rounds on social media on May 19 morning, sparking backlash and protests from women's rights organisations, which demanded the attackers be arrested.
DB police arrested a scoundrel named Ismail on May 21 in the incident.
- Female teacher, 45, gets married to student, 22
- 8th Bangladesh-China Friendship Bridge set to open on Sep 4
- 314 wild birds rescued in Bogura
- 2 children drown in Sitakunda ponds
- Two held over rape on moving bus in Brahmanbaria
- Engineer died in the race between two trucks
- Fire breaks out at jute warehouse in Narayanganj
- Easy bike, microbus collision leaves woman dead
- Body of the teacher who married student recovered
- Bairagirchala people still remember Queen Elizabeth II
- Lawn carpet grass cultivation boons in Chandpur
- Driver killed in bus-truck collision in Rajbari
- Three arrested with 1500 liters of stolen diesel
- Padma-Setu breaths last, only Swapno remains alive
- Pickup van kills security guard in Hazaribagh