N’ganj mosque blast: another victim dies, death toll now 27
Published: 13:47 7 September 2020 Updated: 16:07 7 September 2020
Another burnt patient from the Air Conditioner (AC) blast at Baitus Salat Jame Mosque in the Paschim Talla area of Fatulla in Narayanganj Sadar Upazila has died. With this, the death toll now stood at 27.
The patient died on Monday afternoon while undergoing treatment at the Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery, Institute’s Resident Surgeon Partha Sankar Paul confirmed the matter.
However, the identity of the deceased was not known yet.
Earlier, an Air Conditioner (AC) blast took place at Baitus Salat Jame Mosque in the Paschim Talla area of Fatulla at around 8:45 pm on Friday. There were 50 people inside the mosque praying Isha prayer. 37 of them were rescued and admitted to Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery.
In the incident, a child named Jewel died first around 12:30 am that day. Imam and Khatib of the mosque, Maulana Abdul Malek has died while undergoing treatment on Sunday night.
The bodies of 12 were taken to Narayanganj till Saturday afternoon. 10 people including a child were buried until 10 pm after namaz-e-janaza.
“So far 36 worshipers have been admitted to Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery. They all have a deep burn, said Dr. Samanta Lal Sen, chief coordinator of the hospital, adding, “It is not possible to say immediately how much the patients have burned as per percentage. No one is safe.”
Meanwhile, after visiting the spot on Friday night, Narayanganj Fire Service Deputy Assistant Director Abdullah Al Arefin said that the explosion took place in the mosque “not from AC but from the gas line.”
Three investigation committees have been formed by the fire service, Titas Gas Authority and the district administration in the incident.
- 3 scientific officers among 4 killed in Savar three-way collision
- Professor becomes ‘viral’ for selling aram lobes in market
- 314 wild birds rescued in Bogura
- Sunamganj’s Akke conquers Mount Everest
- Woman who assaulted girl at Narsingdi train station detained
- 65-day ban on fishing starts midnight
- Flood situation slightly improves in Sylhet, Sunamganj
- Mother-daughter among 3 dead in Rajshahi road crash
- Egg production enriched in Jhalokati
- 1776 liters of soybean oil recovered from Cinema Hall
- Female teacher, 45, gets married to student, 22
- Mass grave during Great Liberation War found in Maheshpur
- 13 held for swindling in primary recruitment test
- Explosion at container depot: 5 firefighters dead
- Wheat import resumes through Hili after 9 days