World Day Against Child Labor today
Published: 11:58 12 June 2019 Updated: 11:58 12 June 2019
The World Day Against Child Labor is being observed on Wednesday in the country as elsewhere in the world to focus attention on the global extent of child labour and the action and efforts needed to eliminate it.
This year’s theme of the day is set as “Children shouldn’t work in fields, but on dreams”.
Each year on 12 June, the day brings together governments, employers and workers organizations, civil society, as well as millions of people from around the world to highlight the plight of child labourers and what can be done to help them.
On the eve of the day, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina gave a message with a call for a more effective role of private organisations, individuals, national and international agencies, civil society and media alongside the government to prevent child labour and work for well being of children.
In her message, she said her government is pledge-bound to protect the rights of children.
The premier said the government is going ahead in phases to attain the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end child labour in all its forms by 2025. “We have formulated Child Labour Elimination Policy 2010. A list of 38 hazardous works for children has been published,” she said.
She said the number of children engaged in labour was 3.2 million according to Child Labour Survey 2003 carried out by Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS) while the number reduced to 1.7 million as per the Child Labour Survey 2013.
The premier said child labour has reduced significantly because of her government’s time-befitting steps.
She wished success of all programmes marking World Day Against Child Labour.
- Cyclone ‘Bayu’, ‘Hikka’ after ‘Fani’
- Cyclone ‘Fani’ approaching Bay of Bengal
- Dhaka-Kolkata Ship service starts March 29
- Dhaka-Rajshahi nonstop train
‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- Banani fire: Injured firefighter Sohel dies
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Massive fire at Banani’s FR Tower, many get trapped
- Eid Jamaat timetable in Dhaka
- Feni madrasa girl Nusrat dies
- Burj Khalifa colored for Mar 26
- Cyclonic Storm “FANI” lies over Southeast Bay
- BUP student’s death
Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- PM to visit Bharateswari Homes Thursday
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash
Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’