Work of Mongla port’s new channel completed before schedule time
Published: 11:18 30 December 2020
The dredging work of the new channel at Mongla port has been completed before the scheduled date, as a result, ships will now be able to dock at the port through this new channel.
The China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation said in a statement that the dredging work of the channel was completed on 3 December this year. Earlier, the work started on 13 January 2019. The work has been completed two weeks before the scheduled date. Three large dredgers have been used for dredging the new channel.
Rear Admiral M Shahjahan, chairman of the Mongla Port Authority, said the contracted company had completed the dredging work of the new channel, before the scheduled date, in the first week of December. As a result, additional facilities will be available for shipping in the port.
Meanwhile, Mongla Port Authority says that the activities of the port officially started in December 1950. From then on, traders used to import-export goods through the port, especially in the southwestern part of the country. For that reason, it was known as a for-profit organization for more than three decades.
However, due to falling prices of jute and jute products in the international market since the mid-80s, shipping at the port has been declining for the one-by-one shutdown of jute mills in the country and major changes in the export trade. But the present government has taken various developmental steps since 2009 to make the port operational and dynamic.
The main problem of the port is capital dredging (large scale excavation) in Pasur channels at a cost of about Tk 106.51 crore to overcome the navigability crisis. Under the project, 35.11 lakh cubic meters of silt was removed. The work started in September 2013 and completed in December 2015.
- Maulana Golam Sarwar Saide dies
- Covid-19 vaccination: 50 centers in capital
- Anushka at Dihan`s house: Which was seen in CCTV footage
- Killing schoolgirl after rape: CID collects evidence
- Dewanbagi Pir Syed Mahbub-e-Khoda dies
- Shaheed Dr Milon Day on Friday
- ‘Surokkha’ app within Feb 4: DG of DGHS
- Syed Shamsul Haque’s birth anniversary today
- Cold wave may continue till tomorrow morning
- Legal action will be taken against fake news portals: Hasan
- Work of Mongla port’s new channel completed before schedule time
- ULAB student death: Friend ‘DJ Neha’s obscenity with ‘Client-1,2’
- Globe Biotech allowed to produce ‘Bangavax’ vaccine for trial
- Final feasibility survey before next budget
2nd Padma Bridge also to be funded by govt if necessary
- Bangladesh to deposit money to buy Oxford`s vaccine on Sunday