War criminal Azhar’s appeal hearing anyday
Published: 13:15 10 July 2019 Updated: 13:16 10 July 2019
The appeal hearing of Jamaat leader ATM Azharul Islam- received a death penalty for the crimes against humanity- any day. The Appellate Division will announce the verdict on appeal any day.
On Wednesday, the Appellate bench led by Chief Justice gave the order. Senior Advocate Khandker Mahbub Hossain presented the arguments with the court. Attorney General Mahbubey Alam was present for the state.
After hearing, Mahbubey Alam told reporters that the Appellate bench led by Chief Justice kept the verdict of the appeal of ATM Azharul Islam.
Regarding the penalty, the Attorney General said, “In the gearing, I told that the death penalty was given by the tribunal after judging. So there is no reason to interfere with the penalty given by the tribunal. I hope the Appellate Division will uphold the death penalty.”
The appeal hearing began on June 18. The hearing began with the submission of the paperbook of Advocate-on-Record Zainul Abedin on the accused.
Later, the arguments started on July 1. Earlier on April 10, the court fixed the date for the hearing.
On December 30, 2014, the International Crimes Tribunal gave death penalty to Azhar.
ATM Azharul Islam was charged with six anti-humanitarian crimes such as genocide, killing of 1256 people, kidnapping 17 people, raping one, detaining 13 people, and robbery and arson in hundreds of homes and houses during the Liberation War 1971.
Apart from number 1, the remaining five charges have been proved by the tribunal’s verdict. In addition to the allegation of Superior Responsibility, he was an Al-Badar Commander during the Liberation War, was also proved in the verdict.
On January 28, 2015, his lawyers appealed for acquittal for Azhar with 113 arguments. Appellate Division branch submitted an appeal of 2340 pages with a 90-page main appeal.
- GD filed over Nusrat’s death
- PBI found sensational information over Nusrat killing
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- 3 to die for killing RU prof Shafiul
- Barguna murder: HC seeks info about ‘action’ taken within noon
- Modhumoti Model Town remains illegal
- Female magistrates for testimonies of sexual assault victims
- Student killed in Barguna School ceiling collapse
Writ files seeking Tk 1 cr for compensation
- Lead found in 93 out of 96 liquid milk in the market
- Nusrat murder: Writ seeks judicial probe
- HC asks to remove 52 adulterated products by 10 days
- Writ over re-fixing of Shab-e-Barat date refused
- Nusrat murder
Charge sheet submitted seeking death penalty for 16
- 6 to die for Anis Khadem murder case