2nd phase of municipal polls
Voting in 60 municipalities underway
Published: 10:21 16 January 2021 Updated: 12:27 16 January 2021
A long queue of voters turnout in Basurhat municipality of Noakhali’s Companiganj upazila
The voting in 60 municipalities, in the second phase, has started. The voting began from 8:00 am on Saturday and will continue till 4:00 pm.
Of the 60 municipalities – 29 will be held through EVMs and 32 by ballots.
Voting has been underway through EVMs –
Birganj in Dinajpur district, Sariakandi and Santahar in Bogura, Nazipur in Naogaon, Kakonhat and Arani in Rajshahi, Naldanga in Natore, Kazipur in Sirajganj, Faridpur in Pabna, Gangni in Meherpur, Kumarkhail in Kushtia, Shailkupa in Jhenaidah, Mongla Port in Bagerhat, Magura, Pirojpur, Dhanbari in Tangail, Fulbaria in Mymensingh, Kendua in Netrokona, Kuliarchar in Kishoreganj, Savar in Dhaka, Jagannathpur in Sunamganj, Chandina in Cumilla, Daganbhuiyan in Feni, Basurhat in Noakhali, Khagrachari, Sreepur in Gazipur.
Voting has been underway through ballots –
Sandwip in Chattogram, Belkuchi, Ullapara, Sadar and Raiganj in Sirajganj, Mohanganj in Netrokona, Sadar, Bheramara and Mirpur in Kushtia, Kulaura and Kamalganj in Moulvibazar, Nageshwari in Kurigram, Sundarganj and Sadar in Gaibandha, Sadar and Birampur in Dinajpur, Bhangura, Santhia, Ishwardi in Pabna, Bhabaniganj in Rajshahi, Sadar and Chhatak in Sunamganj, Madhabpur and Nabiganj in Habiganj, Boalmari in Faridpur, Muktagacha in Mymensingh, Gurudaspur and Gopalpur in Natore, Sherpur in Bagura, Lama in Bandarban, Kishoreganj Sadar.
The total number of voters in the election is 22,40,226. The number of male voters – 11,08,431 and female voters – 11,31,831.
In the second phase of municipal elections, there are 1,080 polling stations and 6,508 polling booths. There are 221 mayoral candidates and 745 councilor candidates in the reserved seats. And 2,320 candidates are running for the post of general councilor.
Earlier on December 3, the EC announced the schedule for the second phase of 61 municipal elections. According to the announced schedule, the last date for submission of nomination papers was December 20. Nomination papers were scrutinized on December 22. The last date for withdrawal of candidature was December 29.
- Covid-19 vaccination: 50 centers in capital
- ‘Surokkha’ app within Feb 4: DG of DGHS
- ULAB student death: Friend ‘DJ Neha’s obscenity with ‘Client-1,2’
- Circular with 11 directives on seven-day lockdown
- 12th session of 11th parliament begins
- Temperature likely to rise
- Bir Freedom Fighters’ draft list published
- Awami League MP Aslam dies
- Ex Bangladesh Bank deputy governor Ibrahim Khaled dies
- 21 named for Ekushey Padak 2021
- Seminar on MHM of adolescent girls with disabilities
- Girl’s hanging body found; Case filed against top industrialist
- Mitali Express for Jalpaiguri on Monday, Thursday
- Indian PM thanks Foreign Minister
- Third day`s program going on at parade ground