2nd phase of municipal polls
Voting in 60 municipalities ends, counting underway
Published: 16:22 16 January 2021 Updated: 17:34 16 January 2021
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
The second phase of voting in 60 municipalities has ended with enthusiasm. The voting was ended at 4:00 pm on Thursday. After the voting, counting has started in each center.
The voting in 60 municipalities was started at 8:00 am on Saturday and continued till 4:00 pm. Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) were used in 28 out of 60 municipalities.
Earlier, SM Asaduzzaman, joint secretary of the EC Secretariat, said that the EC had initially announced the schedule of 61 municipalities for the second phase but the polling in Syedpur municipality of Nilphamari was postponed. “Voting was suspended there on the death of a mayoral candidate,” he also said.
There are 221 mayoral candidates, 745 reserved seat councilors and 2,320 general seat councilors in 60 municipalities. The total number of voters in the election is 22,40,226. The number of male voters – 11,08,431 and female voters – 11,31,831.
Of the 60 municipalities – 29 was held through EVMs and 32 by ballots.
Voting took place through EVMs –
Birganj in Dinajpur district, Sariakandi and Santahar in Bogura, Nazipur in Naogaon, Kakonhat and Arani in Rajshahi, Naldanga in Natore, Kazipur in Sirajganj, Faridpur in Pabna, Gangni in Meherpur, Kumarkhail in Kushtia, Shailkupa in Jhenaidah, Mongla Port in Bagerhat, Magura, Pirojpur, Dhanbari in Tangail, Fulbaria in Mymensingh, Kendua in Netrokona, Kuliarchar in Kishoreganj, Savar in Dhaka, Jagannathpur in Sunamganj, Chandina in Cumilla, Daganbhuiyan in Feni, Basurhat in Noakhali, Khagrachari, Sreepur in Gazipur.
Voting took place through ballots –
Sandwip in Chattogram, Belkuchi, Ullapara, Sadar and Raiganj in Sirajganj, Mohanganj in Netrokona, Sadar, Bheramara and Mirpur in Kushtia, Kulaura and Kamalganj in Moulvibazar, Nageshwari in Kurigram, Sundarganj and Sadar in Gaibandha, Sadar and Birampur in Dinajpur, Bhangura, Santhia, Ishwardi in Pabna, Bhabaniganj in Rajshahi, Sadar and Chhatak in Sunamganj, Madhabpur and Nabiganj in Habiganj, Boalmari in Faridpur, Muktagacha in Mymensingh, Gurudaspur and Gopalpur in Natore, Sherpur in Bagura, Lama in Bandarban, Kishoreganj Sadar.
The total number of municipalities in the country is 329. EVMs voting took place on December 28 in 24 municipalities in the first phase schedule. In the third phase, polling will be held on January 30 in 64 municipalities and in the fourth phase, polling will be held on February 14 in 56 municipalities.
- Covid-19 vaccination: 50 centers in capital
- ‘Surokkha’ app within Feb 4: DG of DGHS
- ULAB student death: Friend ‘DJ Neha’s obscenity with ‘Client-1,2’
- Circular with 11 directives on seven-day lockdown
- 12th session of 11th parliament begins
- Temperature likely to rise
- Bir Freedom Fighters’ draft list published
- Awami League MP Aslam dies
- Ex Bangladesh Bank deputy governor Ibrahim Khaled dies
- 21 named for Ekushey Padak 2021
- Seminar on MHM of adolescent girls with disabilities
- Girl’s hanging body found; Case filed against top industrialist
- Mitali Express for Jalpaiguri on Monday, Thursday
- Indian PM thanks Foreign Minister
- Third day`s program going on at parade ground