Unrest in BUET over Abrar murder
Published: 13:37 7 October 2019 Updated: 16:14 7 October 2019
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) is now in unrest over the murder of Abrar, a student of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE) department of the university.
The students, including his classmates, have been protesting since Monday morning. They demanded justice for the Fahad murder.
Earlier, students had blocked Jafar Iqbal, the Provost of Sher-e-Bangla Hall, over the murder of Abrar Fahad. They blocked the provost’s room for CCTV footage, said the students.
Mentioning that the details of the murder will be revealed if the footage is found, the student further said that “they will not leave the place if CCTV footage was not shown”.
At around 8:00 pm, a number of people called Fahad from room no. 1011 of Sher-e-Bangla Hall. He was not found until 2:00 am, according to Fahad’s classmates.
They believe he was beaten in a room no. 2011. Later, the body of Fahad was recovered from a staircase between the ground floor and the first floor of the Sher-e-Bangla Hall.
“We know those who call Fahad,” a classmate of Fahad said. “But at this moment, I do not want to say their names.”
Chawkbazar Police Station OC Sohrab Hossain said that Russell and Fuad were detained for questioning over the murder of BUET student Fahad. “They both are the BUET students.”
The deceased Abrar Fahad, a student of Term 1 of Level-2 of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE) Department, BUET. He used to stay in room no. 1011. His home is in Kushtia city. He completed his school life at Kushtia District School and attended Notre Dame College.
Hall Provost Md Zafar Iqbal Khan said a student was found in front of the hall at around 2:45 pm. It is not yet known why he went out, what happened. He was later examined by a doctor at BUET.
The doctor then declared him dead. I informed the police later. Police rushed him to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH), he added.
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Incredible! - ‘This picture is hand-painted!’
- CONTRAST 3.0 to kick off tomorrow
- Closing day of 4 day-long photography exhibition by BUPPS
CONTRAST 3.0 signing off tomorrow
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Buet’s Abrar in annual exam: Students cried again
- HSC exam form filling date extended
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Comilla University’s 1st convocation Monday
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- ‘Flower Festival 2020’ at BUP Feb 2
- Graduates gather at RU amid fanfare
- Question leakage and admission fraud
DU expels 63 students for life
- US offer Bangladeshi students to study at American school