UN expresses ‘deep concern’ over Prophet Muhammad (SAW) cartoon tensions
Published: 11:03 29 October 2020 Updated: 15:01 29 October 2020
Miguel Angel Moratinos, heads the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations, expressed “deep concern” Wednesday about growing tensions over satirical cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW)
The head of a United Nation anti-extremism body expressed “deep concern” Wednesday about growing tensions over satirical cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW), urging “mutual respect” between people of different faiths and political views.
The statement by Miguel Angel Moratinos, heads the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations, follows growing anger in the Muslim world over France’s response to the beheading of a teacher who had shown his pupils the images as part of a class on free speech, reports AFP.
President Emmanuel Macron has vigorously defended the publication of cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) on free speech grounds, sparking angry protests across the Muslim world and campaigns to boycott the French products.
The UN High Representative “is following with deep concern the growing tensions and instances of intolerance triggered by the publication of the satirical caricatures depicting Prophet Muhammed (SAW),” according to the statement.
“The inflammatory caricatures have also provoked acts of violence against innocent civilians who were attacked for their sheer religion, belief or ethnicity,” Moratinos said in the statement, without explicitly referring to Macron’s defence of the images.
“Insulting religions and sacred religious symbols provoke hatred and violent extremism leading to polarization and fragmentation of the society,” he warned.
- Alina Kabaeva: Putin’s lover vanished after giving birth to twins
- Maci Currin: Texas teen at 6ft 10in has world’s longest legs
- 2,000-year-old brain cells of Vesuvius victim found intact
- Trump announces peace deal between Bahrain and Israel
- US Presidential Polls
Biden ahead in electoral votes at 238, Trump at 210: US media
- 1,200-year-old Pagan Temple to Thor, Odin discovered
- 59 coffins buried 2,500 years ago in Egypt unveiled
- Manhunt in Kenosha: 2 more killed, 1 wounded on 3rd-night protest
- Chinese vlogger dies after ‘set on fire by during live stream’
- Sarcophagi buried for 2,500 yrs exhumed
- 450 Indians detained in Saudi for part-time begging
- Violence sparked as another black man shot by US police (video)
- Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine trial paused on 3rd level
- British soldier arrested opposing infants killing in Yemen war
- Erdogan’s cartoon on French magazine, Turkey for legal action