Two US secretaries arrive India
Published: 22:14 26 October 2020
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Secretary of Defense Mark Esper arrived in India on Monday to attend the third round of talks to reduce China's influence in the Indo-Pacific region.
The two-day visit comes at a time when India is engaged in a bitter border standoff with China, with Pompeo indicating earlier that the dialogue is expected to focus on the "threats" posed by Beijing.
India and the US on Tuesday will sign the last foundational agreement, Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement for Geo-Spatial Cooperation (BECA) during the 2+2 ministerial dialogue with Indian Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar and Defense Minister Rajnath Singh.
After bilateral talks between Rajnath Singh and Mark Esper, Indian defense ministry said, “The two Ministers expressed satisfaction that agreement of BECA will be signed during the visit.”
The two Ministers reviewed bilateral defense cooperation spanning “military-to-military cooperation, secure communication systems and information sharing, defense trade and industrial issues” and also discussed ways to take bilateral cooperation forward, the statement said. Stating that they discussed potential new areas of cooperation both at the Service-to-Service-level and the joint-level, the ministry stated.
Analysts say, the trip is a part of the latest US effort bolster allies against an increasingly assertive China, which has been making political and military inroads across Asia.
- Alina Kabaeva: Putin’s lover vanished after giving birth to twins
- Maci Currin: Texas teen at 6ft 10in has world’s longest legs
- 2,000-year-old brain cells of Vesuvius victim found intact
- Trump announces peace deal between Bahrain and Israel
- US Presidential Polls
Biden ahead in electoral votes at 238, Trump at 210: US media
- 1,200-year-old Pagan Temple to Thor, Odin discovered
- 59 coffins buried 2,500 years ago in Egypt unveiled
- Manhunt in Kenosha: 2 more killed, 1 wounded on 3rd-night protest
- Chinese vlogger dies after ‘set on fire by during live stream’
- 450 Indians detained in Saudi for part-time begging
- Sarcophagi buried for 2,500 yrs exhumed
- Violence sparked as another black man shot by US police (video)
- Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine trial paused on 3rd level
- British soldier arrested opposing infants killing in Yemen war
- Erdogan’s cartoon on French magazine, Turkey for legal action