Chinese tycoon vanished, then jailed and fined ¥4.2m for gripping president
Published: 21:47 22 September 2020 Updated: 21:51 22 September 2020
Chinese tycoon and government`s outspoken critic Ren Zhiqiang
A Chinese billionaire who criticized President Xi Jinping's handling of the coronavirus pandemic has been jailed for 18 years on corruption charges, a Chinese court said Tuesday; reports CNN
Ren Zhiqiang, a retired real-estate tycoon with close ties to senior Chinese officials, disappeared in March after he allegedly penned a scathing essay that month criticizing Xi's response to the coronavirus epidemic. He was later charged with corruption-related offenses.
On Tuesday, a court in Beijing found Ren guilty on multiple charges, including embezzling some $16.3 million (110.6 million yuan) in public funds, accepting bribes, and abuse of power that caused losses totaling $17.2 million (116.7 million yuan) for the state-owned property company that he once headed.
Judges sentenced him to 18 years in prison and imposed a fine of $620,000 (4.2 million yuan). The court said he "voluntarily confessed all of his crimes" and "was willing to accept the court's verdict after all of his illegal gains were recovered."
China's court system has a conviction rate of around 99%, according to legal observers, and corruption charges are often used to go after the Communist Party insiders who fall afoul of the leadership.
Ren's conviction and heavy sentence appear designed to send a message to other members of the Chinese elite that any public criticism or defiance of Xi will not be tolerated, as Beijing continues to deal with the fallout of the pandemic and faces intense international pressure from Washington and others.
- Bangalore clash: 3 killed, Sec 144 imposed (video)
- Trump accused of rape: US court deadlines for DNA submit
- Maci Currin: Texas teen at 6ft 10in has world’s longest legs
- Trump’s heartfelt statement over younger’s death
- 2,000-year-old brain cells of Vesuvius victim found intact
- Alina Kabaeva: Putin’s lover vanished after giving birth to twins
- Trump announces peace deal between Bahrain and Israel
- Manhunt in Kenosha: 2 more killed, 1 wounded on 3rd-night protest
- Chinese vlogger dies after ‘set on fire by during live stream’
- Air strikes in Afghanistan kill 45
- Violence sparked as another black man shot by US police (video)
- Yes, Trump conspired with the Russians; Admits republican Senat
- British soldier arrested opposing infants killing in Yemen war
- 450 Indians detained in Saudi for part-time begging
- Man cuts pregnant wife’s belly to check baby’s gender