Stokes 135* leads England to epic test win
Published: 22:36 25 August 2019
Ben Stokes' astonishing 135 not out repeated his World Cup heroics and gave England one of their greatest victories to keep the Ashes series against Australia alive.
Just as he dragged England through the super over against New Zealand, Stokes played one of the most incredible Test innings by an Englishman to level the series at 1-1.
In the chase of an England record 359 at a delirious Headingley, the home side still needed 73 when Stokes was joined by last man Jack Leach.
Like he did in his innings six weeks ago to the day at Lord's, Stokes launched a stunning solo assault.
He planted off-spinner Nathan Lyon for three sixes and followed that up by hitting Josh Hazlewood for four, six and six in three consecutive balls, during which point he passed 100.
With 17 needed to win, Stokes was dropped by a diving Marcus Harris. From the next over, Leach should have been run out, only for Lyon to fumble the ball and, from the very next delivery, Stokes could have been lbw, but Australia were out of reviews.
In the next over, Leach scrambled a single off Pat Cummins and, with one to win, Stokes hammered through the covers and sank to his knees in exhausted celebration.
It means the series is level with two matches to play, with the fourth Test at Old Trafford beginning on 4 September.
- Shakib removes dangerous Pant
- Copa América
Argentina faces Venezuela in Quarter Final tonight
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- Argentina and Qatar set for crucial Copa America match
- Dhaka Abahani thrash Manang Marshyangdhi 5-0
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Bangladesh U-19 beat England U-19
- Caribbean came to end defeated to India by 125 runs
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Tigers reach Ctg to play Test against Afghans
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs