South Africa’s president Ramaphosa in Covid-19 quarantine
Published: 20:24 28 October 2020
South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa removed his mask when speaking at the dinner but has no symptoms; Photo: Reuters
South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa went to self-quarantine after a guest at a dinner he attended later tested positive for Covid-19.
According to BBC, the president is not showing symptoms and will perform his duties remotely, his office said in a statement.
Ramaphosa is the latest world leader forced to self-quarantine due to the outbreak. US President Donald Trump and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson are among leaders who have contracted Covid-19.
South Africa has reported the highest number of Covid-19 cases in Africa.
President Ramaphosa had imposed one of the strictest lockdowns in the world to curb the spread of the virus, but later eased restrictions.
He would be tested when “the symptoms will manifest” and is currently in self-quarantine, his office said.
The president attended a fundraising dinner hosted by the Adopt-a-School Foundation at a hotel in the commercial hub of Johannesburg on Saturday. The dinner was attended by 35 guests - one of them showed symptoms the following day and test results received on Tuesday confirmed he had Covid-19.
“The event adhered stringently to Covid-19 protocols and directives on screening, social distancing and the wearing of masks. The president himself removed his mask only when dining and addressing the guests,” the president's office said.
- Alina Kabaeva: Putin’s lover vanished after giving birth to twins
- Maci Currin: Texas teen at 6ft 10in has world’s longest legs
- 2,000-year-old brain cells of Vesuvius victim found intact
- Trump announces peace deal between Bahrain and Israel
- US Presidential Polls
Biden ahead in electoral votes at 238, Trump at 210: US media
- 1,200-year-old Pagan Temple to Thor, Odin discovered
- 59 coffins buried 2,500 years ago in Egypt unveiled
- Manhunt in Kenosha: 2 more killed, 1 wounded on 3rd-night protest
- Chinese vlogger dies after ‘set on fire by during live stream’
- Sarcophagi buried for 2,500 yrs exhumed
- 450 Indians detained in Saudi for part-time begging
- Violence sparked as another black man shot by US police (video)
- Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine trial paused on 3rd level
- British soldier arrested opposing infants killing in Yemen war
- Erdogan’s cartoon on French magazine, Turkey for legal action