Sifat secures bail
Published: 11:00 10 August 2020 Updated: 16:25 11 August 2020
Rifatul Islam Sifat
A court granted bail to Stamford University student Rifatul Islam Sifat, one of the co-workers of Major (retd) Sinha Md Rashed, who was killed in police firing in Cox's Bazar.
Teknaf Chief Judicial Magistrate Court Judge Tamanna Farah passed the bail order on Monday in two cases. The court also directed to handover the investigation of the cases to Rapid Action Battalion (RAB).
Earlier on Sunday, Senior Judicial Magistrate court in Ramu granted bail to Shipra Rani Devnath, another companion of Sinha, in a case.
Major (retd) Sinha came to Cox's Bazar on July 3 to make a documentary. Stamford University students Sifat, Shipra Rani Devnath and their classmate Tahsin Rifat Noor were his collaborators in this work. Sinha was the producer of the documentary. They all got up at Nilima Resort on the shores of Himchhari beach.
Sinha, a former army officer, was shot to death by police at the Shamlapur check-post in Baharchhara union on the Cox's Bazar-Teknaf Marine Drive road on the night of July 31. Sifat was with him at the scene during the shooting. Sifat has been accused in the police case of obstructing government work by colluding with each other (Sinha and Sifat), pointing arms for murder and causing death. He was arrested in that case and sent to jail.
Police also raided the resort in Himchhari and detained Shipra Rani Devnath, a third-year student of Stamford University, and Tahsin Rifat Noor, a final year student of the same university.
Later, a case was filed against Shipra at Ramu police station under the Narcotics Act for keeping a bottle of liquor. However, Tahsin Rifat Nur was released under the guardian's custody.
- Maj (retd) Sinha killing
Seven including OC Pradeep sent to jail
- Notice seeking travel ban, arrest warrant against Abul Kalam
- TikTok Apu lands in jail
- Virtual Court: A landmark step in judiciary
- HC issues rule to repeal anti-abortion clause
- Retd Major Sinha murder: Case filed against 9 incl OC Pradeep
- What Sabrina says on first day of second phase remand
- Court denies bail for 8 incl Sabrina, Arif
- Court to run in dual manner from Wednesday
- Dr Sabrina remanded for three days
- Sinha killing: 7 including 4 cops on 7-day remand
- Attack on UNO Wahida : Two accused on 7-day remand
- Arrest warrant issued against Regent’s Shahed
- Sifat secures bail
- Dancer Evan lands in jail for trafficking women in Dubai