Saddam Hussein’s right-hand man dies
Published: 12:53 27 October 2020 Updated: 12:53 27 October 2020
Former Iraqi ruler Saddam Hussein’s right-hand man, Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri has died. This is the fourth time that Ibrahim al-Douri's death has been reported. However, now, his party named the Iraqi Ba’ath confirmed the information.
Ibrahim al-Douri was one of the last surviving senior figures in the government of Saddam Hussein. He, arguably the most high-profile Saddam Hussein-era officials to evade capture in the wake of the 2003 US invasion of Iraq, had made infrequent public appearances in recent years.
Describing Douri as "the knight of the Baath and the Iraqi national resistance", the now-banned Iraqi Arab Socialist Ba'ath Party said that he had joined Hussein and other fallen Baathists in the afterlife.
"In the face of this momentous event, we are confident, fellow militant comrades, that you will follow the will of our late comrade who called us all, may God have mercy on him, to abide by principles, to be patient and calm, and to adhere to the principles of the Baath, its ethics, organisational traditions and values, to continue, perpetuate and enhance the momentum of our struggle for our people," said the party, in a statement released on Facebook.
The statement did not disclose any details about the circumstances of Douri's death.
- Alina Kabaeva: Putin’s lover vanished after giving birth to twins
- Maci Currin: Texas teen at 6ft 10in has world’s longest legs
- 2,000-year-old brain cells of Vesuvius victim found intact
- Trump announces peace deal between Bahrain and Israel
- US Presidential Polls
Biden ahead in electoral votes at 238, Trump at 210: US media
- 1,200-year-old Pagan Temple to Thor, Odin discovered
- 59 coffins buried 2,500 years ago in Egypt unveiled
- Manhunt in Kenosha: 2 more killed, 1 wounded on 3rd-night protest
- Chinese vlogger dies after ‘set on fire by during live stream’
- 450 Indians detained in Saudi for part-time begging
- Sarcophagi buried for 2,500 yrs exhumed
- Violence sparked as another black man shot by US police (video)
- Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine trial paused on 3rd level
- British soldier arrested opposing infants killing in Yemen war
- Erdogan’s cartoon on French magazine, Turkey for legal action