S. America now the new center of COVID-19: WHO
Published: 21:27 23 May 2020
WHO’s Executive Director of Emergency Health Program Dr. Mike Ryan
The whole world is devastated by the deadly coronavirus. In such a situation, the South American continent is becoming a new center of the pandemic, says World Health Organization (WHO), at a press conference in Geneva on Friday, telling that “South America is becoming the new center of the outbreak, about six months after the COVID-19 was identified in Wuhan, China.”
“We’re seeing an increase in coronavirus infections in many countries in South America,” said WHO’s Executive Director of Emergency Health Program Dr. Mike Ryan. “This situation is alarming in many countries.”
However, the most affected country at the moment is Brazil. Brazil currently has the highest number of coronavirus patients in South America, said Dr. Mike Ryan.
At the conference, Mike expressed concern about the approval of hydroxychloroquine, a malaria drug used in Brazil to treat coronavirus.
It is learned that several studies have raised questions about the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine in the treatment of COVID-19. The patients who are being given the medication have a higher risk of dying from a heart attack than others, according to a new study released on Friday.
Mike added that current clinical data do not support the widespread use of hydroxychloroquine in the treatment of COVID-19. He also advised refraining from using it till a “full trial and clear results are obtained.”
- Azan changed in Mecca
- Coronavirus: 16 red zones in Dhaka
- 40 more building under ‘lockdown’ in Mirpur
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
3 deaths, 790 cases reported in 24 hrs
- 147 new deaths reported in a hour, infected 345,289
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 200 in country
- Corona infected identified in Gazipur
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Coronavirus: New symptom heart attack
- Coronarvirus infection climbed to 38 million globally
- 5 die in 24 hrs in country, coronavirus cases rises to 5,426
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
Record 786 cases registered in 24hrs in country
- Highest COVID-19 deaths, cases recorded in 24 hrs in country