Russian transport plane crashes amid Ukraine crisis, crew killed
Published: 13:04 25 February 2022
A Russian Antonov An-26 transport plane carrying military equipment crashed in Russia’s southern Voronezh region near Ukraine; Photo: Collected
A Russian Antonov An-26 transport plane carrying military equipment crashed in Russia’s southern Voronezh region near Ukraine, killing all crew members on board, the defence ministry said Thursday.
According to Russian news agencies, citing the country’s defence ministry, an An-26 aircraft of the Russian aerospace forces transporting military equipment crashed.
“All the crew members died,” the defence ministry said in a statement, without providing any details.
The crash took place as Russian troops had crossed the Ukrainian border and were closing in on the capital Kyiv Thursday after the Kremlin ordered a massive invasion of its neighbor, reports AFP.
The defence ministry blamed “equipment failure for the crash”, which it said had not caused any destruction on the ground.
Speaking to AFP, a defence ministry spokesman confirmed the crash, however, declined to say how many crew members had been killed.
- Israel hits Gaza with air attacks as tensions escalate
- Albania suffers renewed cyber attack, blames Iran
- Queen Elizabeth`s doctors "concerned" over health
- Queen Elizabeth lying in state in Westminster Hall
- 3 killed in lightning strike near White House
- Draupadi Murmu sworn in as India’s President
- China to conduct military operations in Taiwan at any time!
- Bus plunges into river valley in Kenya, kills 24
- Rohingyas will be resettled in US: Blinken
- 9 killed in jeep-car collision near Bengaluru
- Biden again tests positive for Covid, returns to isolation
- Japan police chief to resign over Abe shooting
- Biden announces $3 billion in additional aid to Ukraine
- 3 killed, 6 wounded in China kindergarten stabbing: police
- 8 killed in Kabul blast, IS claims responsibility