Rule issued on setting up breastfeeding corners
Published: 14:35 27 October 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The High Court on Sunday issued a rule asking the government to explain why it should not be directed to take necessary steps to set up breastfeeding corners and baby-care corners at workplaces, airports, bus stops, railway stations and shopping malls.
In the rule, the court also wanted to know why the women and children affairs ministry would not be ordered to formulate a guideline to establish breastfeeding corners and baby care corners at public places and private institutions.
The HC bench of Justice Moyeenul Islam Chowdhury and Justice Khandaker Diliruzzaman came up with the rule after hearing a writ petition. Barrister Abdul Halim accompanied by Advocate Rashidul Hasan and Jamiul Haque Faisal appeared to court for the petitioners.
The cabinet, women and children affairs, health, social welfare, and civil aviation and tourism secretaries were, among others, asked to reply to the rule within four weeks.
Earlier on October 24, Advocate Israt Hasan, on behalf of her nine-month-old baby Umair Bin Sadi, filed the writ seeking a safe atmosphere for breastfeeding.
In the writ petition, it was saying that the mothers feel uneasy to feed their children at the workplaces, shopping malls, airports, bus stoppages and railway stations as there are no specific breastfeeding and baby care corners. The petitioner prayed to the HC to pass necessary orders in this regard.
- HC orders to remove video of woman assaulting naked in Noakhali
- No woman hanged so far in country’s history
- Rifat murder case
Minni appeals; seeks acquittal from death penalty
- Attack on UNO Wahida : Two accused on 7-day remand
- Legal notice for banning Bigo Live, TikTok, Likee
- HC accepts Minni’s appeal, fine suspended
- ‘Golden Monir’ on 18 days remand
- HC issues rule to repeal anti-abortion clause
- Dancer Evan lands in jail for trafficking women in Dubai
- Papia, her husband get 27yrs in prison
- Minni was “Mastermind”: State Prosecutor
- 5 get death penalty for rape for first time in country
- 2 children who return home after midnight HC order are fine
- 3 to die for killing NSU student Payal
- 6 to die for killing school teacher, his wife