Rule issued on setting up breastfeeding corners
Published: 14:35 27 October 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The High Court on Sunday issued a rule asking the government to explain why it should not be directed to take necessary steps to set up breastfeeding corners and baby-care corners at workplaces, airports, bus stops, railway stations and shopping malls.
In the rule, the court also wanted to know why the women and children affairs ministry would not be ordered to formulate a guideline to establish breastfeeding corners and baby care corners at public places and private institutions.
The HC bench of Justice Moyeenul Islam Chowdhury and Justice Khandaker Diliruzzaman came up with the rule after hearing a writ petition. Barrister Abdul Halim accompanied by Advocate Rashidul Hasan and Jamiul Haque Faisal appeared to court for the petitioners.
The cabinet, women and children affairs, health, social welfare, and civil aviation and tourism secretaries were, among others, asked to reply to the rule within four weeks.
Earlier on October 24, Advocate Israt Hasan, on behalf of her nine-month-old baby Umair Bin Sadi, filed the writ seeking a safe atmosphere for breastfeeding.
In the writ petition, it was saying that the mothers feel uneasy to feed their children at the workplaces, shopping malls, airports, bus stoppages and railway stations as there are no specific breastfeeding and baby care corners. The petitioner prayed to the HC to pass necessary orders in this regard.
- Travel ban imposed on Bashundhara MD
- 17 cases lodged so far against Mamunul Haque
- Bomb at Sheikh Hasina’s rally: 14 militants gets death penalty
- Hefazat leader Mamunul put on 7-day remand
- Court orders to interrogate actress Romana, 2 others at jail gate
- Case lodged against 17 incl Hefazat’s Mamunul Haque
- Killing businessman at Dakshin Khan
Japani Hannan on 8 days remand
- No anticipatory bail for Bashundhara MD: HC
- Anushka rape-murder: Probe report against Dihan Apr 7
- Attempted murder: Probe report against Toma Mirza deferred
- Child speaker Rafiqul Islam on 2-day remand
- Probe report of actress Toma’s lawsuit against husband Apr 8
- Illegal Brick-kiln
Contempt of court rule against 3 including Chattogram DC
- Trial of DGHS’s driver Malek begins
- Hefazat’s Dhaka Metropolitan chief Junaid Al Habib detained