Rifat murder: Hearing on Minni’s bail plea today
Published: 09:44 8 August 2019 Updated: 15:59 8 August 2019
The High Court is scheduled today hearing on the bail petition of Aysha Siddika Minni in a case filed over the murder of her husband Rifat Sharif.
The bail petition hearing will take place at the High Court bench of Justice Sheikh Md Zakir Hossain and Justice Md Mostafizur Rahman on Thursday.
Earlier on Tuesday, the High Court deferred and set today to hear the bail petition.
Minni, who is now in jail, filed a petition on Monday with the High Court through lawyer seeking bail in the case. Later, the HC bench fixed Tuesday for hearing on the petition.
In the petition, Minni said she is innocent and she was not in any way involved in the murder and that she had been falsely implicated in the case.
Earlier, a Barguna court rejected Minni’s bail petition twice on July 22 and 30 respectively.
On June 26, Rifat Sharif, an internet service provider, was attacked with sharp weapons near the main gate of Barguna Government College. Video footage of the incident that went viral on social media, shows Minni screaming and trying in vain to save her husband during the attack.
Later, Rifat’s father filed a murder case with Barguna Sadar Police Station against 12 people on the day of the murder.
Police have so far arrested 15 people over the murder. Besides, main accused Sabbir Ahmed alias Nayon Bond was killed in a reported gunfight with law enforcers on July 2.
Police arrested Minni on July 16 over the murder of her husband and was denied bail several times. She reportedly confessed to her involvement in the murder before the court on July 19, two days after her arrest.
On July 31, Minni filed a petition with a Barguna court seeking withdrawal of her confessional statement over the murder.
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- Barguna murder: HC seeks info about ‘action’ taken within noon
- Nayon Bond not made in a day: HC
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- Rifat murder
Rifat Farazi on 7-day remand
- 9 to die for attempting to kill Sheikh Hasina in Pabna
- Nusrat murder
Charge sheet submitted seeking death penalty for 16
- Arrest warrant issued against OC Moazzem
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- Renu murder: mastermind Hridoy on 5-day remand
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- HC bars use of phrase ‘fake freedom fighter’
- Tk 76 lakh needed for testing Wasa water
- Khaleda Zia gets bail in two defamation cases