Review verdict on ‘jail term for life’ any day
Published: 18:06 11 July 2019 Updated: 18:19 11 July 2019
The review hearing on ‘Life term means jail term for entire life’ has been completed. The Appellate Division will announce the verdict any day.
On Thursday, the Appellate Division led by the Chief Justice gave the order.
Advocate Khandaker Mahbub Hossain was present for the review petition. Attorney General Mahbubey Alam was present for the state.
Besides, Barrister Rokon Uddin Mahmud, former Attorney General A F Hasan Arif, Advocate Abdur Rezak Khan, and Lawyer Association president Advocate AM Amin Uddin presented the views as Amicus Curiae before the court.
On October 15, 2003, the court gave death sentence to two accused Ataur Mridha alias Ataur and Anwar Hossain in a murder case.
Later, Death Reference (death penalty) comes to the High Court for hearing regarding the appeal of the accused and the death penalty against the verdict.
On October 30, 2007, the High Court upheld the death sentence of two accused.
The defendants filed an appeal in the Appellate Division against the High Court verdict. On February 14, 2017, the verdict of the Appellate Division reduced the death penalty of two accused to life imprisonment.
At the same time, the court gave a seven-point opinion including ‘Life term means jail term for entire life’. After appealing the appeals verdict, the Appellate Division appoints Amicus Curiae to hear opinions of lawyers about this matter.
- Rifat murder
Minni’s bail hearing Jul 30
- Rifat murder
HC grants bail to Minni
- Renu murder: mastermind Hridoy on 5-day remand
- US-Bangla cabin crew placed on 2-day remand
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Train crash in Sirajganj
Writ filed seeking compensation of Tk 1cr for victim
- Only President, Prime Minister are VIPs; states HC
- Rifat murder: Hearing on Minni’s bail plea today
- 2 sedition cases filed against Priya Saha
- ACC summons Mahi and his wife
- Razakar Musa gets death penalty
- Khaleda’s bail hearing in Charitable Trust case Tuesday
- HC refuses to interfere on Minni`s remand order
- Khaled put on 7-day remand
- Renu Murder: Writ seeks Tk 5cr compensation