Review verdict on ‘jail term for life’ any day
Published: 18:06 11 July 2019 Updated: 18:19 11 July 2019
The review hearing on ‘Life term means jail term for entire life’ has been completed. The Appellate Division will announce the verdict any day.
On Thursday, the Appellate Division led by the Chief Justice gave the order.
Advocate Khandaker Mahbub Hossain was present for the review petition. Attorney General Mahbubey Alam was present for the state.
Besides, Barrister Rokon Uddin Mahmud, former Attorney General A F Hasan Arif, Advocate Abdur Rezak Khan, and Lawyer Association president Advocate AM Amin Uddin presented the views as Amicus Curiae before the court.
On October 15, 2003, the court gave death sentence to two accused Ataur Mridha alias Ataur and Anwar Hossain in a murder case.
Later, Death Reference (death penalty) comes to the High Court for hearing regarding the appeal of the accused and the death penalty against the verdict.
On October 30, 2007, the High Court upheld the death sentence of two accused.
The defendants filed an appeal in the Appellate Division against the High Court verdict. On February 14, 2017, the verdict of the Appellate Division reduced the death penalty of two accused to life imprisonment.
At the same time, the court gave a seven-point opinion including ‘Life term means jail term for entire life’. After appealing the appeals verdict, the Appellate Division appoints Amicus Curiae to hear opinions of lawyers about this matter.
- GD filed over Nusrat’s death
- PBI found sensational information over Nusrat killing
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- 3 to die for killing RU prof Shafiul
- Barguna murder: HC seeks info about ‘action’ taken within noon
- Modhumoti Model Town remains illegal
- Female magistrates for testimonies of sexual assault victims
- Student killed in Barguna School ceiling collapse
Writ files seeking Tk 1 cr for compensation
- Lead found in 93 out of 96 liquid milk in the market
- Nusrat murder: Writ seeks judicial probe
- HC asks to remove 52 adulterated products by 10 days
- Writ over re-fixing of Shab-e-Barat date refused
- Nusrat murder
Charge sheet submitted seeking death penalty for 16
- 6 to die for Anis Khadem murder case