Rajshahi, Chapainawabganj can use GI tags for Fazli Mango: DPDT
Published: 22:02 24 May 2022 Updated: 22:03 24 May 2022
Fazli Mango; Photo: Collected
Fazli Mango is from which district? — such an issue has been stretched for a long time. The people of Rajshahi used to claim Fazli Mango as their own. The people of Chapainawabganj were not left out to make claims. DNA samples were also taken to test its existence. In the end, both Rajshahi and Chapainawabganj jointly secured the Geographical Indication (GI) certificate for this type of mango.
The announcement was made by Yanendranath Sarkar, Registrar (Additional Secretary) of the Department of Patent, Design and Trademarks (DPDT) of the Ministry of Industries, after a hearing on Tuesday.
Rajshahi Fruit Research Center Chief Scientific Officer Dr. Alim Uddin took part in the hearing. He presented the data there. “The full verdict will be announced next Sunday,” the official said.
Besides, six people including Jahangir Selim and Munjer Alam took part on behalf of Chapainawabganj. They also presented information on behalf of Chapainawabganj.
The order was issued on Tuesday afternoon after a three-hour-long hearing. It jointly recognized Rajshahi and Chapainawabganj as GI certificates for Fazli Mango.
“Now if any party is upset against the order, they can go to court. They will decide later what will be done for Rajshahi. For now, the order of the DPDT is final,” said Rajshahi Fruit Research Center Chief Scientific Officer Dr. Alim Uddin.
On October 6 last year, in response to an application from the Rajshahi Fruit Research Center, Fazli Mango was given the GI of “Rajshahi Fazli Mango”. An application for recognition was made on March 9, 2017. However, Chapainawabganj objected to this and claimed Fazli came from Chapainawabganj.
In this context, a hearing was organized by the Patent, Design and Trademarks (DPDT) of the Ministry of Industries.
- Diesel-petrol-octane prices reduced, effective tonight
- Low-middle incomers to get loan of Tk 30 lakh to buy flat
- 5 money changers` license suspended
- Gold price hikes again
- RMG items export to EU sees 45% growth
- Rice prices fall
- BD RMG exports increase by 45% in EU
- Garment products go to Poland through Padma Bridge
- Tk 15606cr remittances received in 21 days
- BAT Bangladesh named among top income taxpayers
- Edible oil prices likely to reduce in October: Commerce Minister
- BB to release new notes of Tk 10, Tk 20
- Sugar, oil’s new price fixed
- Tk 75,000cr laundered in digital hundi in a year: CID
- Edible oil prices will be adjusted soon: Tipu Munshi