Price fall in large-caps drives stocks down
Published: 22:06 7 July 2019
Stock markets today opened the week with downward trend due mainly to price fall in large-cap securities with lower transactions.
The falling major sectors were insurance, food and allied and textile. A total of 183 securities of the large-cap group moved down due to lower activities.
The broader DSEX index of Dhaka Stock Exchange (DSE) closed the day with 47.71 points down at 5,333.09. The Shariah DSES and the blue-chip DS30 also followed the same trend with 11.93 points down at 1,221.46 and with 19.69 points down at 1,890.38.
“Huge amount of classified loans and liquidity crisis in the banking sector is one of the causes for falling trend of the stock markets. The authorities concerned should take more initiatives to bring back the confidence of investors,” Director of the Western Securities Investment Management Limited Imtiaz Ahmed told BSS today.
The daily trade fell to 17.29 crore shares from Thursday’s 18.43 crore shares and the day’s trade value at DSE decreased to Taka 415.34 crore from Taka 487.53 crore of the previous session.
At DSE, out of the day’s 353 securities, prices of 87 securities closed higher against 239 losing issues.
The major gaining issues were CAPMBDBLMF, SEMLFBSLGF, ATCLGF, SEMIBBLSF and 1STPRIMFMF. The major losing companies were Global Insurance, Zeal Bangla, Emerald Oil, HRTEX and Sonar Bangla Insurance.
JMISMDL topped the turnover list followed by ATCSLGF, Runner Auto, National Life Insurance and Rupali Insurance.
The Chittagong Stock Exchange (CSE) closed the day of the week with downward trend with its major CASPI 136.36 points down at 16,333.01.
At CSE, 265 issues were traded. Of those, 78 closed higher and 162 closed lower when 83.26 lakh shares worth Taka 18.20 crore changed hands.
- Rubana Huq-led pannel wins BGMEA polls
- Investcorp eager to invest in Bangladesh
- Consulting firm for Payra port terminal appointed
- Mirsarai Economic Zone to witness factory operation in July
- Asia markets climb as Fed signals possible rate cut
- NBR to launch mobile app to increase taxpayers
- ‘1000 workers will go abroad from each upazila’
- Two-day BPO Summit begins tomorrow
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Bangladesh wins best award in Nigeria Intl trade fair
- Poverty rate comes down
- Record budget for FY2019-20: Finance Minister
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- Govt moves to strengthen flower marketing system
- RAKUB recovers Taka 200 crore in Boishakhi Mela