Police officer killed by fighting rooster
Published: 14:01 28 October 2020
A police officer has been killed by a rooster during a raid on an illegal cockfight in the province of Northern Samar in Philippine, reported BBC.
The policeman named Lieutenant Christine Bolok was struck by the rooster's gaff - a razor-sharp steel blade which is typically attached to the leg of fighting roosters.
The blade cut his left thigh, slicing his femoral artery. He was rushed to hospital and declared dead on arrival.
Cockfighting has been banned during the virus outbreak. Before the pandemic, it was allowed only in licensed cockpits on Sundays and legal holidays, as well as during local fiestas lasting a maximum of three days, according to the government news wire The Philippine News Agency (PNA).
Provincial police chief Colonel Arnel Apud told news agency AFP that the accident was "unfortunate", calling it "a piece of bad luck that I cannot explain".
"I could not believe it when it was first reported to me. This is the first time in my 25 years as a policeman that I lost a man due to a fighting cock's spur."
Three people were arrested and seven fighting roosters, two sets of gaff and 550 Philippine Peso ($11; £8) were confiscated, reported PNA. Three other suspects remain at large.
Cockfighting is popular in the Philippines, typically attracting large crowds who bet on the outcome of fights between the birds.
- Alina Kabaeva: Putin’s lover vanished after giving birth to twins
- Maci Currin: Texas teen at 6ft 10in has world’s longest legs
- 2,000-year-old brain cells of Vesuvius victim found intact
- Trump announces peace deal between Bahrain and Israel
- US Presidential Polls
Biden ahead in electoral votes at 238, Trump at 210: US media
- 1,200-year-old Pagan Temple to Thor, Odin discovered
- 59 coffins buried 2,500 years ago in Egypt unveiled
- Manhunt in Kenosha: 2 more killed, 1 wounded on 3rd-night protest
- Chinese vlogger dies after ‘set on fire by during live stream’
- 450 Indians detained in Saudi for part-time begging
- Sarcophagi buried for 2,500 yrs exhumed
- Violence sparked as another black man shot by US police (video)
- Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine trial paused on 3rd level
- British soldier arrested opposing infants killing in Yemen war
- Erdogan’s cartoon on French magazine, Turkey for legal action