Payra power plant protest leads to Chinese worker’s death
Nasrul Hamid dashes to spot by helicopter
Published: 17:06 19 June 2019
Payra 1320 MW Thermal Power Plant. File photo
A Chinese worker, who was injured in a clash over the death of a worker at Payra 1320 MW Thermal Power Plant in Kalapara upazila on Tuesday, died at Barishal Sher-e-Bangla Medical College and Hospital on Wednesday.
The deceased was identified as Jung Yung Sung, an employee of the power plant.
Factory workers said Sabindra Das, 32, son of Nagendra Das of Nabiganj upazila in Habiganj district, was killed as he fell into the boiler machine of the plant on Tuesday afternoon.
As the news spread around, Bangladeshi workers of the plant burst into anger and vandalized its office, canteen and training center inside the power plant.
They also confined the employees and staff of Bangladesh-China Power Company Limited (BCPCL) and 3000 Chinese workers to the power plant for eight hours from 3pm on Tuesday, said Shahmoni Ziko, an administrative officer of BCPCL.
Six Chinese workers who suffered injuries during the unrest were sent to Barishal Sher-e-Bangla Medical College and Hospital where Chinese worker Jung Young succumbed to his injuries around 10 am on Wednesday, said Dr Bakir Hossain, a physician of the hospital.
Manirul Islam, officer-in-charge of Kalapara Police Station, said police on information went to the spot and brought the situation under control.
Matiul Islam Chowdhury, deputy commissioner of Patuakhali, said necessary steps were taken in this regard.
State Minister for Power Nasrul Hamid reached Payra 1320 MW Thermal Power Plant site by a helicopter on Wednesday morning.
A tense situation was prevailing in the area following the incident. Members of Rapid Action Battalion have been deployed in the area to avert further trouble.
- DITF duration extended
- BB releases commemorative notes marking ‘Mujib Borsho’
- DITF-2020 begins on Wednesday
- Mustafa Kamal named world’s best Finance Minister
- Bangladesh to outshine Malaysia, Singapore by 2024
- Where Tk 200 note will be available
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Operating profits of most banks rise
- National Insurance Day March 1
- Ecnec okays 7 projects worth Tk 11,042 cr
- Govt firm to implement single digit interest rate: Kamal
- SME products fair begins in Magura
- Toyota to recall 1,380 defective cars in China
- Regal Furniture displays 50 new products at DITF
- ADB announces $650cr initial response to corona pandemic