Payra power plant protest leads to Chinese worker’s death
Published: 17:06 19 June 2019
Payra 1320 MW Thermal Power Plant. File photo
A Chinese worker, who was injured in a clash over the death of a worker at Payra 1320 MW Thermal Power Plant in Kalapara upazila on Tuesday, died at Barishal Sher-e-Bangla Medical College and Hospital on Wednesday.
The deceased was identified as Jung Yung Sung, an employee of the power plant.
Factory workers said Sabindra Das, 32, son of Nagendra Das of Nabiganj upazila in Habiganj district, was killed as he fell into the boiler machine of the plant on Tuesday afternoon.
As the news spread around, Bangladeshi workers of the plant burst into anger and vandalized its office, canteen and training center inside the power plant.
They also confined the employees and staff of Bangladesh-China Power Company Limited (BCPCL) and 3000 Chinese workers to the power plant for eight hours from 3pm on Tuesday, said Shahmoni Ziko, an administrative officer of BCPCL.
Six Chinese workers who suffered injuries during the unrest were sent to Barishal Sher-e-Bangla Medical College and Hospital where Chinese worker Jung Young succumbed to his injuries around 10 am on Wednesday, said Dr Bakir Hossain, a physician of the hospital.
Manirul Islam, officer-in-charge of Kalapara Police Station, said police on information went to the spot and brought the situation under control.
Matiul Islam Chowdhury, deputy commissioner of Patuakhali, said necessary steps were taken in this regard.
State Minister for Power Nasrul Hamid reached Payra 1320 MW Thermal Power Plant site by a helicopter on Wednesday morning.
A tense situation was prevailing in the area following the incident. Members of Rapid Action Battalion have been deployed in the area to avert further trouble.
- US-China trade war: Trump steps next
- Payra power plant protest leads to Chinese worker’s death
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- NBR to launch mobile app to increase taxpayers
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 14 farms received President Award
- BARVIDA`s new committee to take office tomorrow
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Biggest budget in country’s history to be passed today
- ‘Country’s foreign exchange reserve $33 billion’
- Bengal Commercial Bank launching soon
- Gold price further hiked amid upswing intl market
- Hili land port resumes today
- Tk 2,02,721cr ADP in FY20 budget