Osaka becomes world’s highest-earning female athlete
Published: 15:45 23 May 2020
Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka has become the world’s highest-paid female athlete. The star has surpassed the legendary tennis player Serena Williams of the United States in terms of income in the last year.
According to Forbes Magazine, the 22-year-old Osaka has earned £30.7m in prize money and endorsements over the past 12 months. And it was £1.15m more than the amount earned by 38-year-old Serena Williams.
Osaka and Serena both surpassed the previous single-year earnings record of £24.4m set in 2015 by Maria Sharapova.
Osaka is ranked 29th on Forbes list of the top 100 highest-earning athletes in 2020. Serena, a 23-time Grand Slam winner, is four steps behind. The full list will be released next week.
Tennis players have topped the annual list every year since Forbes began tracking women athletes’ income in 1990.
- Pak Cricketer Sarfaraz dies of coronavirus
- Ticket prices for Bangladesh-Zimbabwe T20 Series
- Masrafe steps down as Tigers captain
Another 20 lakh Tk collected by ‘Shakib Al Hasan Foundation’
- Bangladesh meets Zimbabwe in 2nd ODI today
- Mash becomes first Bangladeshi pacer to bag 700 wickets
- Perera, Pradeep back in Sri Lanka T20 squad
- Shakib reveals name of newborn daughter
- Ronaldo in quarantine
- Tamim gets his 2nd 150
- Bangladesh-Zimbabwe 2nd ODI
Mushfiq to play, Mustafizur-Saifuddin out
- Coronavirus: Tokyo Olympics postponed
- England plans to return field by early May
- South Africa announce ODI squad for India tour
- BCB`s new contract and cricketers salary