Alexa Now HC denies Minni’s bail 

Rifat murder

Now HC denies Minni’s bail 

Rifat murder


Published: 18:13 8 August 2019  

File Photo

File Photo

The High Court denies bail to Aysha Siddika Minni, the prime witness of widely discussed Rifat murder case in Barguna. 

On Thursday, the High Court bench comprising Justice Sheikh Md Zakir Hossain and Justice Md Mostafizur Rahman passed the order. Earlier, the one-hour hearing on Minni’s bail petition was held.

After reviewing the confessional statement given by Minni in Barguna Court, the High Court cannot grant her bail. The court can issue a rule regarding the bail. But if you don’t want a rule, then you can withdraw the petition, the court said after the hearing. 

The lawyer then appealed to the court to withdraw Minni’s bail petition. The court then returned back the bail petition without giving the rule.

During hearing, Senior lawyer ZI Khan Panna and Barrister Mahbub Uddin Khokon were present for Minni. Additional Attorney General Mumtaz Uddin Fakir was present for the state.

Minni, who is now in jail, filed a petition on Monday with the High Court through lawyer seeking bail in the case. Later, the HC bench fixed Tuesday for hearing on the petition. 

In the petition, Minni said she is innocent and she was not in any way involved in the murder and that she had been falsely implicated in the case.  

Earlier, a Barguna court rejected Minni’s bail petition twice on July 22 and 30 respectively.

On June 26, Rifat Sharif, an internet service provider, was attacked with sharp weapons near the main gate of Barguna Government College. Video footage of the incident that went viral on social media, shows Minni screaming and trying in vain to save her husband during the attack.

Later, Rifat’s father filed a murder case with Barguna Sadar Police Station against 12 people on the day of the murder.

Police have so far arrested 15 people over the murder. Besides, main accused Sabbir Ahmed alias Nayon Bond was killed in a reported gunfight with law enforcers on July 2. 

Police arrested Minni on July 16 over the murder of her husband and was denied bail several times. She reportedly confessed to her involvement in the murder before the court on July 19, two days after her arrest.

On July 31, Minni filed a petition with a Barguna court seeking withdrawal of her confessional statement over the murder.