Nixon Chowdhury’s bail upheld in Chamber Judge’s Court
Published: 19:33 22 October 2020
Faridpur-4 MP Mujibur Rahman Chowdhury alias Nixon Chowdhury has not been rejected anticipatory bail by the High Court in a case filed by the Election Commission (EC) alleging violation of election code of conduct. As a result, the eight-week bail granted by the High Court remained in force in the Appellate Division.
After hearing the state’s appeal to suspend bail, the appellate division judge Md. Nuruzzaman’s Chamber Judge Court passed the order on Thursday.
Assistant Attorney General Md. Saiful Alam appeared in the hearing for state today.
Earlier on October 20, a bench of High Court Justice Sheikh Md. Zakir Hossain and Justice KM Zahid Sarwar Kajal granted an eight-week anticipatory bail to Nixon Chowdhury.
Lawyer Shahdin Malik heard in court for Nixon Chowdhury accompanied by lawyer M Manzur Alam.
The Election Commission (EC) has filed a case against Nixon Chowdhury for violating the code of conduct in the October 15 elections. District Senior Election Officer Noabul Islam filed the case with Charbhadrasan Police Station in Faridpur.
According to EC sources, Faridpur’s Charbhadrasan Upazila Parishad elections were held on October 10. The allegation arose that Nixon Chowdhury had threatened the deputy commissioner and upazila executive officers and abused the election officials. In this incident, a letter was also sent to the Election Commission from the Cabinet Division seeking redressal for the misconduct.
- Anushka rape and murder: Court directs DNA test
- ACC files chargesheet against Casino Khalid
- HC orders Papul’s wife, daughter to surrender
- ‘Golden Monir’ on 18 days remand
- Case files against ex-mayor Sayeed Khokon, 7 others
- 7 judges with rank of District and Session Judge transferred
- Mother-son murdered in Kakrail: Husband among 3 to die
- Writ filed banning Bigo Live, TikTok, Likee apps
- Life imprisonment means jail until death: Appellate Division
- Verdict on sensational Samiul murder case today
- Drug case: Probe report against Irfan Selim deferred
- Hearing on Golden Monir`s bail plea today
- Arrest warrant issued against PK Haldar
- Youth confesses rape, murder of schoolgirl in Kalabagan
- Hearing of case against Sabrina, Ariful adjourned till Dec 15