NBR to launch mobile app to increase taxpayers
Published: 23:08 8 July 2019
The National Board of Revenue (NBR) is going to launch a ‘mobile app’ for increasing the number of taxpayers and preventing tax evasion.
“We will make web-based software and a mobile app for increasing the number of taxpayers. Through the app, we will bring all taxable persons under the tax net,” a senior official of NBR told BSS.
He informed that a total 649 tax zones across the country will be included with the mobile app and anyone can examine their tax certificate through using the mobile app.
“When a customer or general citizen can make a complaint against business establishment regarding the payment of tax through using the mobile app, normally the businessman will become careful in this regard and pay tax regularly,” he added.
The official also said the government will amend the existing law for effectively using the mobile app against tax evasion as well as increasing the number of taxpayers.
He also informed that the mobile app will only give the information regarding tax certificate. “If any business establishment and doctor, engineer, lawyer and other people, who are involved with their professions commercially and do not pay their tax, their certificate will be canceled normally. So, inactive certificate means, he or she does not pay their tax,” he added.
Out of the total number of 40 lakh registered e-Tin holders, only 20 lakh people are submitting their income tax return. NBR hopes that the mobile app will increase the number of taxpayers.
Recently, NBR Chairman Md Mosharraf Hossain Bhuiyan said the government has taken necessary initiatives to raise the number of taxpayers to 10 million within the next two years.
“Only one percent of our total population is paying tax. We are planning to increase the number of taxpayers to 10 million within the next two years. We have already started working to raise the number of tax payers,” he said.
- Price of tobacco products increase in FY21
- Excise duty on bank deposits increasing
- WB approves $500m for Bangladesh road connectivity development
- Mobile call rate, internet cost increasing
- Finance Minister to present budget proposal today
- Online shopping fraud on rise
- New monetary policy announced setting 14.8 percent debt growth
- Bourses maintain gaining streak
- Stocks rebound on both bourses
- Health sector allocation increased by Tk 15,000cr
- Budget FY21: Prices of products to go down
- 20 pc discount on air ticket by bKash payment
- Tk 2,771 per capita increased allocation in new budget
- No liquidity crisis in banking sector: Governor
- New gas connections in residentials to be pre-paid