More than 100 bodies found floating in Libya coast
Published: 10:14 27 July 2019 Updated: 12:10 27 July 2019
At least 62 bodies have been recovered so far in the Mediterranean Sea in boat capsizing incident while going from Libya to Europe. The Libyan Red Crescent informed the matter on Friday.
The rescue workers have been conducting the rescue drives since Thursday afternoon. The death toll may increase, said Libyan Red Crescent.
Aid organizations believe 250-300 people may have been on the boat. The U.N.’s International Organization for Migration says it has confirmed 30 deaths, and that up to 120 more people may have drowned.
More than hundreds of bodies are still floating in the sea, said Red Crescent chief Abdul Moneim Abu Sebei. “So, it cannot be said how many lives were lost in the boat capsizing incident. Libya’s coastguards and fishermen rescued at least 145 refugees alive after the boat capsize.”
Local sources say that three boats sailed from Khoms of Libyan port city with three passengers and started journey in the Mediterranean. The information was obtained from the rescued passengers. If this information is correct, more than 200 people have died in the sea.
Around 145 people have been rescued; many of them have an Eritrean or Sudanese background, according to the IOM. The survivors also include one Palestinian and one Bangladeshi refugee.
Many people have died in drowning in the Mediterranean while traveling to Europe to escape the Libya war. Earlier this month, an airstrike at the Tajoura Detention Center near Tripoli killed over 50 people. This year it is believed to be the largest number of deaths in boat capsizing incidents in the Mediterranean.
- Alina Kabaeva: Putin’s lover vanished after giving birth to twins
- Maci Currin: Texas teen at 6ft 10in has world’s longest legs
- Trump’s heartfelt statement over younger’s death
- 2,000-year-old brain cells of Vesuvius victim found intact
- Trump announces peace deal between Bahrain and Israel
- US Presidential Polls
Biden ahead in electoral votes at 238, Trump at 210: US media
- 1,200-year-old Pagan Temple to Thor, Odin discovered
- Manhunt in Kenosha: 2 more killed, 1 wounded on 3rd-night protest
- Chinese vlogger dies after ‘set on fire by during live stream’
- Yes, Trump conspired with the Russians; Admits republican Senat
- 59 coffins buried 2,500 years ago in Egypt unveiled
- Violence sparked as another black man shot by US police (video)
- 450 Indians detained in Saudi for part-time begging
- Sarcophagi buried for 2,500 yrs exhumed
- British soldier arrested opposing infants killing in Yemen war