Rifat murder case
Minni appeals; seeks acquittal from death penalty
Published: 15:41 6 October 2020 Updated: 21:24 6 October 2020
Ayesha Siddika Minni, who was sentenced to death in the Rifat Sharif murder case, has appealed to the High Court seeking her acquittal.
“The appeal was filed around 3:00 pm on Tuesday,” Minni's lawyer ZI Khan Panna confirmed the matter to Daily Bangladesh.
The death reference of the six convicts including Minni in the sensational Rifat Sharif murder case has reached the High Court.
Jahangir Alam Piku, an official at the Barguna Sessions and District Judges Court, brought the documents including the death reference to the High Court on Sunday.
Earlier on September 30, the Barguna court handed down the death sentence to six people including Minni, wife of murdered youth Rifat Sharif, in the murder case. Besides, four others were acquitted.
The death convicts are — the victim’s wife Ayesha Siddika Minni, Rakibul Hasan Rifat Faraji, Al Qayyum alias Rabbi Akon, Mohaiminul Islam Sifat, Rezwan Ali Khan Hridoy alias Tiktak Hridoy and Md Hasan.
Those who have been acquitted are — Rafiul Islam Rabbi, Md Sagar, Kamrul Islam Saimun, Md Musa.
Rakibul Hasan Rifat Faraji, Al Qayyum alias Rabbi Akon, Mohaiminul Islam Sifat, Rezwan Ali Khan Hridoy alias Tiktak Hridoy, Md. Hasan, Rafiul Islam Rabbi, Md. Sagar and Kamrul Islam Simon were present in the court during the verdict.
On June 26, 2019, internet service provider Rifat Sharif was attacked by Noyon Bond and his associates in front of Barguna Government College in broad daylight. Later, he died in Barishal Medical College Hospital.
On September 1 that year, police submitted separate chargesheets to the Senior Judicial Magistrate Court of Barguna, accusing 10 adults and 14 juveniles. The Barguna District and Sessions Judge Court framed charges against the 10 accused in the murder case on January 1 this year.
- Anushka rape and murder: Court directs DNA test
- ‘Golden Monir’ on 18 days remand
- HC accepts Minni’s appeal, fine suspended
- ACC files chargesheet against Casino Khalid
- Nixon Chowdhury in High Court for anticipatory bail
- 3 to die for killing NSU student Payal
- Verdict in DU student rape case Nov 19
- HC orders Papul’s wife, daughter to surrender
- 7 judges with rank of District and Session Judge transferred
- Case files against ex-mayor Sayeed Khokon, 7 others
- Indictment hearing against Samrat on November 30
- ASP Anisul murder: 10 accused on 7-day remand
- Mother-son murdered in Kakrail: Husband among 3 to die
- Hearing on Golden Monir`s bail plea today
- Nixon Chowdhury’s bail upheld in Chamber Judge’s Court