Miami building collapse death toll soars 5
Published: 13:31 27 June 2021
The death toll from a 12-storey building collapsed in Miami, Florida, has risen to five.
The mayor of Miami said Saturday evening local time that rescue efforts had been hampered by a “very deep” fire inside the rubble.
Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava told a news conference that emergency workers had recovered another body inside the rubble. “The death toll has risen to five,” she said.
Researchers say the building, built in 1981, has been in a weak state since 1990. Authorities were warned more than once about this. Shimon Wdowinski, a professor in the Department of Earth and Environment at Florida International University, warned about this in a recent study in 2020.
He said the building had been showing signs of subsidence of 2mm every year since 1990. Since then, it has been feared that it could collapse at any moment.
Police say the building was built in 1980. It had 130 units. Half of the units were damaged due to the collapse. It is still unknown at this time how many were present during the building collapse.
Source: Al Jazeera
- Sudan PM Abdallah Hamdok under house arrest
- Priyanka Gandhi detained
- Taliban accused of killing pregnant police officer
- Children, foreigners among 13 killed outside Kabul airport
- China bans exams for 6-year-old school children
- UK to ban single-use plastic cutlery
- Will allow women at universities, but mixed classes banned
- Japan suspends Moderna jabs over contamination fears
- Last US military flight leaves Kabul
- FBI releases newly declassified record on 9-11 attacks
- South Africa’s Johannesburg mayor killed in road crash
- Death toll from Kabul airport blasts rises to 90
- Taliban ban barbers from shaving or trimming beards
- 2% or less have Covid jabs in African nations: WHO
- 600 Taliban fighters killed by Panjshir forces: Spokesman