Messi wins record 6th ‘The Best FIFA Men’s Player’
Published: 10:03 24 September 2019 Updated: 14:40 24 September 2019
Lionel Messi holds the record 6th ‘The Best FIFA Men’s Player’ award
Lionel Messi claims a record sixth FIFA’s The Best Award for ‘The Best FIFA Men’s Player’ by defeating the Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk and Juventus forward Cristiano Ronald.
The award was handed to the Barcelona and Argentina captain at the ‘Best FIFA Football Awards’ event on Monday at Opera House Teatro alla Scala in Milan.
Messi, 32, led Barcelona to a fourth La Liga title in the past five seasons, scoring 36 goals and providing 15 assists in 35 league matches last campaign. He posted 51 goals and 22 assists in all competitions.
He had a great season, as usual. He played a crucial role in winning La Liga for Barcelona. The Argentine star also contributed to the Catalan club’s Champions League semi-final and the Copa del Rey final.
Croatia and Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric won the award last year, breaking up a years-long duel between Messi and Ronaldo for the prize. But Messi regained the honor for a record sixth time, having previously won FIFA’s top award in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2015.
In the final voting, Messi finished with 46 points, while Van Dijk (38 points) and Ronaldo (36) finished second and third respectively. The rest of the top 10 —Liverpool forwards Mohamed Salah (26) and Sadio Mane (23), Paris Saint-Germain striker Kylian Mbappe (17), former Ajax midfielder Frenkie de Jong (16), ex-Chelsea forward Eden Hazard (16), ex-Ajax defender Matthijs de Ligt (9), and Tottenham striker Harry Kane (5).
On July 31, football’s top organization released a list of 10 ‘The Best FIFA Men’s Player’ of the year. On September 2, FIFA released a shortlist of three people.
- 7 teams announced for Bangabandhu BPL
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Fizz wishes Warner for hitting ton on birthday
- Shakib banned for 2 yrs
- Rajshahi Royals rope Andre Russell
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- ‘Bangabandhu Gold Cup 2020’ to be held at BNS
- China`s state TV pulls live Arsenal game
- Sexual harassment case against Tennis Federation GS
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- Sourav Ganguly elected president of India’s cricket board
- Why will ICC ban Shakib?
- Sourav Ganguly set to be president of BCCI
- Did Shakib get death threat from gambler Agarwal?